Searching for an Ideal Monitor

Hartleyb4

Hello -

I have been researching monitors in the hopes of getting a new and very accurate monitor for color correction and general prepress work. The reason I started looking is that my ACD monitor flaked out and was not properly rendering subtle transitions in the highlights. Basically I was getting a hard edged halo around 0% hardness brush strokes, which made creating shadows extremely difficult. I was able to cut this issue back after fighting with calibration issues but I am still getting a bit of banding in the rendering of subtle transitions. I have an Eye1 Calibrator.

I had not been too picky about the monitor type before because I was not happy with any LCD monitors abilities. I was used to manually calibrating a nice 21" CRT for doing any really color critical work. I have been reading about new technology that has been bringing the LCDs up to and maybe even beyond what I need for prepress color work. My concerns are:
Wide Gamut - Does this amplify subtle color differences on screen to the point where they are distracting or misrepresentative of final printed pieces? Or is it finally able to display and capture all the colors I need?
LED Backlighting - This seems to be a big step in creating a uniform representation of color across the entire viewing area of the panel. Is there any reason I wouldn't want this in a monitor?
IPS Panel - Is it worth the extra money over the VA panels?

All the images I work on are ending up 4/c offset. Some are separated for overseas printing using icc profiles for specific printers. I have been looking specifically at the Eizo CG243w and the NEC 2690WUXI2-BK for a replacement monitor. Is this overkill for prepress color work? Is my Cinema display just wonked and needs to be replaced? Are there any recommendations for a monitor for prepress color correction?

Thanks.

You might want to checkout a similar thread pertaining some of the monitors....

http://printplanet.com/forums/color-management/19734-nec-vs-eizo-vs-apple

The wide gamut will allow you to see colors into the AdobeRGB space, and more of the spot colors will be viewed correctly. The CG243w would show 97% of the colors available inside the adobe RGB space.

I am using an Eizo Coloredge CE240W, which I believe is discontinued now, but is about half the price of the Eizo CG243w. It works great for the shop I work at, it shows 92% of the adobe RGB gamut, and I believe that it doesnt have an IPS panel.....still better than a cinema display though.

Amazon.com: EIZO ColorEdge CE240W - LCD display - TFT - 24.1" - widescreen - 1920 x 1200 - 450 cd/m2 - 1000:1 - 8 ms - 0.27 mm - 2xDVI-I - black: Electronics

I also like the ColorNavigator calibration utility, it works very well and has a lot of options.

I wouldn't say the Eizo's are overkill, but if your just working in the CMYK color-space then the wide gamut is not necessary, but nice.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back