Set up TCP IP Access on Highwater Torrent RIP

Serenak

Hello all, I used to hang out here a while back...

Anyway here is the thing - I have gotten into a bit of a hole...

I have upgraded from an old G5 DP Mac as a workstation to a lovely new Mac Pro (which runs 10.6 Snow Leopard) Which is lovely - except my Highwater Cobra CtP platemaker runs a Highwater Torrent (read rebadged Harlequin) RIP and all the printer queues are set up for AppleTalk (which is dead as of 10.6)

Now the obvious thing to do (to my mind at least) is to duplicate the existing printer queues and set them to Socket Input (i.e. TCP/IP) however all the stuff I can find online talks about using a Mac based RIP and then sharing that Socket as a printer and how to talk to it using a Windows workstation...

My setup is the other way round... I have a Windows based Torrent RIP and a Mac based studio - I created some Socket based (or at least I think I have) but I just cant seem to find them from the Mac...

Can anyone help me out here with either some instructions how to do this or a pointer to some online instructions?

For now I am getting round it by sharing the AppleTalk queue from the repurposed G5 - but everything arrives at the RIP called "Shinohara 4 Colour" instead of the file name... so it isn't a viable long term solution

Help!!!!! Please...

Thanks in advance guys

The printers on your RIP need to be setup as Windows printers using TCP/IP or Bonjour instead of AppleTalk. Then share them out and the Snow Leopard Mac should see them fine.

Thanks Joe but the point is I have duplicated my AppleTalk inputs and set them to Socket (i.e. TCP/IP) and set them to channels 9125 up but I cannot see them from the Mac

I have tried setting up the inputs at the Mac end by opening add printer and entering the IP and Socket number in the IP printer and selecting the Cobra PPD.

This creates a printer on the Mac but if you print to it you merely get unable to connect to printer trying again in 30 seconds.

It is the Highwater Torrent RIP v7 - can anyone point me at a how to make this work?

Does the Highwater Torrent RIP v7 have a HotFolder option for the print queues? Then do a Print to File from your applications. Just curious.

Thanks eskopdl - the hot spool folder path is an option and I could perhaps go down that path if necessary - I made one step forward in that I made the Mac output actually reach the RIP via socket input - I created a TCP/IP socket at 9128, then set one of the RIP print inputs to Socket input set to 9128 and then went to the Mac and added an IP Printer pointed at the RIP IP address and socket 9128 and assigned it the Cobra PPD...

The RIP now picks up input but immediately generates an error - I have tried setting the Mac printer to both IPP and also to LPT Daemon (IPP just keeps on sending over and over - LPT sends once and then pauses the printer at the Mac end)

I just can't see where i am going wrong here - and I don't really want to completely change my workflow just because Appletalk is no longer supported, surely it can't be so difficult to set the damn RIP to accept ethernet input?

Can anyone see where I am going wrong? (other than using Windows to host the RIP :) )

If you decide to go the Hot Spool Folder route a good tip would be to have the Spool Folders in a shared volume on the Rip (full Read/Write permissions). Then mount that volume on the Mac, click add to keychain for the password. Then go to your Account Preferences and add that volume to your Login Items (you can check hide and it will not clutter your desktop). That way the connection is there when you startup. Also when you go to Print to File you will by 'printing' to a locally mounted volume instead of having to navigate through your network each time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Eskopdl - that is pretty much how I envisioned going about it, though ideally I would like to simply subsitute an ethernet tcp/ip connection for the Appletalk. In theory it should be simple but all I can find online is how to do it from a Mac hosted Harlequin RIP, not a Win XP one (I wonder why that would be hey?)

Anyone else have any idea where I am going wrong?

NT Print and Windows Printer Sharing makes life easy especially if you have to add inputs or add more workstations. They all will print to the same input reducing the possibility of problems. Just make sure when you install the NT Print you select the correct folder (C:\Torrent) so it installs into the correct folder. NT Print should be on the CD that came with your rip. It may already be installed. Look in your input controller, do an add and look for a type called NT Input. The procedure prepressing linked is pretty straight forward.

BillJ

thanks for that mate - unfortunately NT Print is not currently available in the options (only NT Pipe - which is something else entirely :D ) I will have to investigate the possibility that it can be added either from stuff on the RIP PC already or any installation media we have - if any numpty can find them of course :D

I will endeavour to investigate this possibility...

Cheers

TIP From Xitron

TIP From Xitron

Serenak,

I've attached a document that should help. We published this information a few years ago in anticipation of AppleTalk going away.

Bret

Attachments

• Tips_1.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 759

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back