Should I just start smoking crack...

photolew

I stumbled across this forum recently and have been reading quite alot. What Im trying to "learn" is more about the printing/binding marketplace. I own and operate a small photography business. We are almost exclusively sports and school based. I layout a number of school yearbooks, sports programs, etc. None of these are particularly large 40-48 pages, 8.5x11. Runs from 200-500 currently.

I am wondering if there is something out there that would allow me to bring the production of those in house. Especially since some of them are very time sensitive, like the sports programs.

Let me rephrase that question. Obviously there is equipment out there that would allow us to do this work. I guess the question should really be what options would be most cost effective for a relatively low volume.....

Grab your crack pipe cause if you think you have headaches now they will only compound if you decide to become a printer.

So you want to be a printer from scratch? Here is a sampling of what you will need to print your programs/yearbooks.
A digital printer capable of printing photos and papers that range from text uncoated and coated up to the heaviest cover you think you will ever sell and then some (350 gsm) in full bleed 11x17 finished sheets.
An accurate paper cutter to trim these full bleed sheets down to size.
Something that you can saddle stitch the programs together. Inline will be effective if you don't full bleed your work, otherwise you will need to take it offline.
Yearbooks are typically case bound, so you will need the equipment to be able to perform that.
Either a UV coater or a single sided laminator for the case bound covers.
A paper distributor because you wont find 12x18 sheets at staples.
A score/crease machine to prevent your thick covers from cracking on the fold.
Plus many other things that I'm sure folks will chime in on....

Best bet is to become friends with someone in your area who has this equipment already and farm the work to them. OR buy an already established print shop that hasn't been run into the ground.

A lot of the finishing can happen inline these days. Several vendors sell digital printers with booklet making capabilities including 3 side trimming for full bleed applications. The question however comes to cost. If you want a stepping stone between where you are and what Craig laid out for you would be to get the printer and find a finishing house or another printer who would be ok with just doing your finishing. KM6000 or Xerox 700i would probably be the go to equipment for this application.

Run like He#$

Run like He#$

A lot of the finishing can happen inline these days. Several vendors sell digital printers with booklet making capabilities including 3 side trimming for full bleed applications. The question however comes to cost. If you want a stepping stone between where you are and what Craig laid out for you would be to get the printer and find a finishing house or another printer who would be ok with just doing your finishing. KM6000 or Xerox 700i would probably be the go to equipment for this application.

Leave the crack pipe alone.
when you hit 30 years in this busness, and your liver is as hard as a rock, and, you have pulled out every last hair on your head, then and only then make the switch to crack.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back