Streamlining Digital Workflow

gig0

I would like to know what others do to streamline their digital workflow.

I mentioned in a previous post how my company has recently entered the color digital arena and given me the opportunity to build a digital workflow from the ground up. It's only been about a month now and the workload is just beginning to reach it's threshold. One of the things I've come to realize -since I originate from an offset prepress background- is just letting some things go as far as the files are concerned. I've learned it's not cost effective to fix overlapping elements, color corrections from one page to the next, folding adjustments, etc. when you're running quantities as low as 50 in some cases. We've got Prinergy EVO for our offset PDF workflow and I've tied that (somewhat) into the digital end but it's not fully automated, yet. The Creo server on our KM6501 also allows us to create hot folders for imposition which allows greater flexibility. I can easily unify the workflows but just haven't done it yet because I need to know what my options are.... all of them.

Just as an example, this week we had to turn down a client in the medical industry (who has great potential) because they always need only 5 samples of 20 different lots we would have to download from their FTP site, unstuff, preflight, etc. The time spent downloading their files, creating job folders, preflighting already would reach the price point before the job is even printed. Perhaps the pricing established by marketing is too aggressive??

Anyway, I have a few ideas and would like some guidance. We don't have anything tied into the website, either. Ideally, I imagine an interface where customers can just drag & drop PDFs, input a PO and the files would get preflighted and accepted (or rejected) and then added to the workflow. Does that seem in line what others are doing? I'm looking for as much automation as possible when it comes to digital. If it involves third party software, I'm ok with that but would need an ROI to present it to the uppers since it's all about the numbers. Thanks!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back