Thoughts from Indigo users...

toddkuen

I have an operational technology for extracting images from RIPed HP/Indigo JLT files (print ready JLT files) to PDFs, TIFFs and JPGs (only the lower res 5000 JLT files only at this point but also hi-res is somebody is interested).

This allows you to extract a full image from any press ready JLT file in order to view it, preview it, check what the RIP did with the input file, etc. - all without turning the press on. The output is basically one CMYK press-resolution image per page.

I am not sure what to do with this technology (I also posted this over in web2print).

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Todd
[email protected]

hmmm, interesting, what'd be really useful is something that can do the opposite, like conver a .ps .pdf or something like that to a jlt file, so you can rip really slow jobs on another pc.

any thoughts on that?

Its possible with this to take any sufficiently high resolution raster image (jpg, tiff, etc.) and convert it to a 4-color JLT - I haven't done it but its simple enough - we can decode the format so we can also encode it.

There are a number of tools to convert PS and PDF to images so at least theoretically you could build a cheap multi-processor RIP with say PDFTron or GhostScript creating 4-color rasters and then converting them to JLT.

GhostScript does a crappy job of rasterizing - but it would be a good proof of concept and its free.

If there is real interest I'd be willing to try it. "Real interest" = someone with an Indigo to print it out.

yeh i'd be pretty interested in trying to make a custom rip for it, what it really needs to do is, have a hot folder you can dump a pdf into, then that rips it into a jlt file and dumps that file into the indigos hot folder. I'd be more than happy to do anything to help. I have a HP Indigo 3500, and two computers that'd make good external rips, an 8 core intel mac and an 8 core pc running 64bit xp. either would make good rips i think.

We have an Indigo 5000 here, so we could check this out for you!

I am assuming that it'll get a high res PDF from a JLYT.

Which is something that we can't do at the moment. So it would definitely be handy =)

There has been a fair amount of interest in this so I set up a blog... If you'd like to be more involved than just following the blog contact me off list.

BLOG: VoodooIndigo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back