Trapping Suggestions

jcone18

Here's the situation, we're a decent size label printer with both sheetfed and narrow web presses. Currently we're using Esko ArtPro 8.5 for all of our trapping. We are looking at moving away from using ArtPro due to the outrageous cost of the software (discounted to $50,000). I have much better things to spend that kind of money on!! I would like to find something that will assist the operators with the trapping in Illustrator. We print 95% custom spot colors and regularly have foil stamp, emboss, multiple screens, spot coatings and varnishes, white plates. Most jobs are 8-12 colors. I love how ArtPro makes the trapping so simple but it comes down to funds.

Any suggestions for an alternative trapping solution?

We ultimately need a trapped PDF to go into Prinergy. I've played with the Prinergy trapper but am really unimpressed with it.

Thanks!

Good question! I'm wondering the same thing. We have the option to get trapping software with our RIPMATE software by ECRM. Alot cheaper than 50.000!!

Good question! I'm wondering the same thing. We have the option to get trapping software with our RIPMATE software by ECRM. Alot cheaper than 50.000!!

Buy Esko PowerTrapper for Illustrator ($6610 per seat). It's the same engine in the latest version of ArtPro. We've experimented with other trapping offerings and when working with packaging/labeling none of the alternative software out there is up to the task.

Buy Esko PowerTrapper for Illustrator ($6610 per seat). It's the same engine in the latest version of ArtPro. We've experimented with other trapping offerings and when working with packaging/labeling none of the alternative software out there is up to the task.

I, (go figure), concur. But I would suggest downloading the free trial and give it a test run first. Here's the link DeskPack Modules: Tools for Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop - Esko. Go down the page to PowerTrapper and click on 'Trial'. Best of luck.

eskopdl you forgot to mention it comes with overprint/underprint white. A feature I use to create double hits with pullbacks as well.

BTW I should mention I have no incentive/affiliation with Esko other than the fact that I use some of their products.

Agree wholeheartedly with chevalier. PowerTrapper plug in is easy to use yet creates great traps. Of the several hundred cartons I've trapped with it only a handful did not trap beautifully. Even then, the traps are AI editable elements so it's pretty easy to correct them.
Seems most if not all of ArtPro's functionality is being replaced with the plug in suite.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back