Triumph Paper Cutters

JustinB

I'm in need of a new paper cutter and a local sales rep is pushing me hard towards a Triumph 721-06 paper cutter. The specs sound nice and all, but I'm having a real hard time finding reviews or people with personal experience with the machine.

Does anyone have any experience with this cutter? I know it's an IDEAL Krug & Priester paper cutter, but there's not much in the way of user reviews for their equipment.

We're a digital shop and we use 12pt c1s, 7pt c2s, 70lb offset text and 80lb linen cover as our primary papers. We buy in full size sheets and cut down to 13x19 for printing, so I need something at least 28" wide. We probably do around 10 hours a week of cutting.

Thanks for your help!
Justin

Hi Justin,

Your local rep isn't off the mark. The 721 is a fantastic machine for what you need it for. Here is a link to the model (Krug & Priester is the manufacturer of Eba and Ideal MBM cutters, so this link is identical to Triumph 721-06 just under a different name): EBA 721LT 28 3/8" Programmable Paper Cutter

We actually have the 721 sitting in our demo room and many customers do love it. Another option is to purchase a 26.5" cutter and cut down your 13x19 in half. Such cutter is the 265 which is made by Challenge (Challenge Titan 265).

But the 721 he/she suggested is a great choice as it's made for single shifts, so 10 hours a week is perfect for it.

For more info: http://www.krug-priester.com/en/home.html

Last edited:
I opened my shop 5 years ago with a Triumph 4700, 18.75" wide, all manual and I love it. The only thing to watch out for is the sharpness of the blade. When it gets dull, it will slur the stock by as much as a 1/4", especially on uncoated stocks. But a manual cutter gets tiring real quick so I bought a used one 6 months ago that is electric (clamp still manual). I have no idea how old it is but it still cuts straight and true. It's the same size as my 4700 so I can swap blades if I want. It's nice having two cutters- one person is cutting stock down stock for the press while someone else is trimming business cards! I am an all digital shop and do need a wider cutter someday because, like you, on occasion I need to cut down parent sheets. Plus, a digital back gauge, optical cutting line, automatic clamp, and cut programs would be so awesome!

Keith

I have had only one Triumph Cutter. A small electric one. What a peice of crap. Barly able to cut a 1" lift of 20lb stock. Seems there are a few people out there who swear by 'em, (well 2) (At least one is a salesman) I will personally never look at another. We use a Challenge 30.5" XG and it is powerfull, smooth and fast. Hydrolic. Of course we do a lot more cutting than you seem to do. Challenge is an industry standard. You'll find people all day long who love them. I would recommend an industry standard brand for reliability and performance. Lots of very good used models out there.

Thanks for the information so far!

I'm coming from a heavy duty hydraulic 36" cutter that is about 50 years old, so I'm certainly not interested in an all electric cutter that can't handle 20lb bond. My cutter is really wearing out and parts aren't available, so that's why I'm looking to update. I routinely cut 28x40, 26x40 and 20x26 paper, so anything less than 28" is useless to me.

Does anyone else have a 721 in their shop?

Challenge parts very available. Just Google "Challenge cutter" to find many, very nice used for around 10 to 15 thou. 30 1/2 inch (305) Anything new will run you in excess of 25 thou.
To my mind, I would only want to look at a Challenge. Also - for what you are cutting, I'd go with a bigger one, not the minimum. I saw a 37" on ebay just now. [full specs at Challengemachinery.com ]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back