Two Location Challenge - Plus Perfector Challenges

GiddyUp

Dear Community,

Hoping you can help me with this current challenge. I have two locations. The first location has a Xitron Harlequin RIP. The second location has an older RTI Harlequin RIP that does NOT have CIP3. I have a few challenges I'm working on. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

We are running an RMGT perfector which utilizes the PPF file that is generated from CIP3 within the RIP. This PPF file is converted to a DEM file. These DEM files are individual files that need to be combined in the RMGT PPC server.

Question 1: Does anyone have any experience with perfector files? The PPF files are sent individually for each side & then must be manually combined - Any work around for this?

Question 2: Can I have location one do the ripping of the file - then send this file to the second location through some shared folder, etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Andrew

Dear Community,

Hoping you can help me with this current challenge. I have two locations. The first location has a Xitron Harlequin RIP. The second location has an older RTI Harlequin RIP that does NOT have CIP3. I have a few challenges I'm working on. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

We are running an RMGT perfector which utilizes the PPF file that is generated from CIP3 within the RIP. This PPF file is converted to a DEM file. These DEM files are individual files that need to be combined in the RMGT PPC server.

Question 1: Does anyone have any experience with perfector files? The PPF files are sent individually for each side & then must be manually combined - Any work around for this?
If your Harlequin Rip has the ability to send CIP3 as 1 file per sheet instead of 1 file per surface, then you will get a combined PPF file with front and back together, otherwise you're stuck with having to recombine in the PPC server.

Question 2: Can I have location one do the ripping of the file - then send this file to the second location through some shared folder, etc?
Sending the CIP3 files or the ripped data for plating?
Either way, this should be easily performed through any of the multitude of file sharing services, or set up your own FTP to transfer between sites.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Andrew

We have two locations and use a qnap server to share files between the locations. It was fairly inexpensive to startup and we've been able to expand the size of the qnaps as we've grown in volume.

If your Harlequin Rip has the ability to send CIP3 as 1 file per sheet instead of 1 file per surface, then you will get a combined PPF file with front and back together, otherwise you're stuck with having to recombine in the PPC server.

Sending the CIP3 files or the ripped data for plating?
Either way, this should be easily performed through any of the multitude of file sharing services, or set up your own FTP to transfer between sites.
Thanks Magnus. I appreciate this!

We have two locations and use a qnap server to share files between the locations. It was fairly inexpensive to startup and we've been able to expand the size of the qnaps as we've grown in volume.
Thank you. I think this will ultimately be the solution. We will need a shared folder that can be viewed by both locations. I think I will be able to duplicate the PPF files using a homemade code that will send to a watch folder for each location. The downside is that both locations will have files from both locations. The other option would be to code a program that routes the file based on some naming convention. This could be a challenge though if the naming convention isn't used...

Our qnap servers have different protocols for different folders. The main source files only sync up (mirror each other) every 5-6 hours. Then we have working folders that mirror each other every 5 minutes. We had to do that to prevent a syncing loop but it works pretty well. Anything we need sent right away goes into a "print ready" working folder and the bigger source files mirror up eventually but don't need to sync that often.

Thank you. I think this will ultimately be the solution. We will need a shared folder that can be viewed by both locations. I think I will be able to duplicate the PPF files using a homemade code that will send to a watch folder for each location. The downside is that both locations will have files from both locations. The other option would be to code a program that routes the file based on some naming convention. This could be a challenge though if the naming convention isn't used...
Would it not be easier to have a different Pagesetups for the CIP3 for each location with different output paths. and automate things upsteam a bit. Also if you looking for an App to sort files according to name etc, have a look at robo basket, little utility I have used a few times to do wierd and wonderful things sorting and moving tiff files

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back