Upgrade and tear your hair out

Slammer

Just upgraded a PGY from 5.3 to a 7.5..... it...took...a...while...! The system is running more or less, but it is running rather unstable, frequent crashes on the Win2008r2 server that need a complete restart of the system, Kodak support has been surprisingly very helpful (big thanks again guys) and if it were not for the frequent crashes things would be perfect. Has anybody else had a crash happy PGY after upgrading?

Running Prinergy 7.5 on Win 2008 R2 here. No issues.

Can´t find anybody slagging PGY 7.5 off anywhere on the web, so I am thinking it is a local problem and I am pointing a finger at the customer´s spaghetti network, or a non PGY cause, the workstations are running El Cap and Win10 by the way.

Only Macs here. OS X 10.10 and 10.11. Make sure your hosts files are updated on your Macs to include all Prinergy servers and tertiary servers. You will have issues if they aren't.

Only Macs here. OS X 10.10 and 10.11. Make sure your hosts files are updated on your Macs to include all Prinergy servers and tertiary servers. You will have issues if they aren't.

Good post, I did the host on two of the machines but got distracted before I did the third, but even then with a host missing in one of the macs I can´t imagine that causing the PGY to crash that brutally.

No it wouldn't cause the Prinergy server to crash. It would just make for problems with Workshop on the Mac. On the other hand it wouldn't hurt to add all of your Macs to the Prinergy server hosts file too.

Seems to be looking more and more like a Windows problem, PGY is healthy and robust according to the logs, however due to the firewall restrictions the automatic updates for Win have been deactivated and now there are almost 200 updates to be done.
We will see.

The firewall on the Prinergy server should be turned off. (I asked Kodak support about this recently)

Also in the past the Windows updates have had to come through Kodak servers. Kodak has deactivated those servers so you need to make a change to the registry to point to Microsoft Windows Updates servers instead of Kodaks. Support can log in and do that for you. Or you can google how to do it if you are confident enough to modify the registry.

Sorry I wasn´t clear, the PGY Firewall is off but the company Firewall burns like a Viking funeral. Interesting to say that previously the Win updates came from Kodak, now it seems that at least PGY 7.5 needs you to do the upgrades all on your onesies, statement from Kodak support "it is the responsibility of the customer to keep up" or words to that effect.

Lill´ update, 117 of the 118 upgrades went through fine, but now Pandora, that ran effortlessly on the new Macs but reluctantly on the new PC is running fine on the new PC but reluctantly on the new Macs.

Lovin it.

What version of OS X is running on your Macs?

Have the latest El Cap as the macs are only three weeks installed, the good news is that the windows updates seem to have done the trick, no problems reported within the last 48 hours.

Reactions: Joe
Well it did not last long, PGY keeps on crashing, now it crashes when the server has been idle for longer periods, last thing I did was to have a workstation continuously ping the server overnight so that it wont go to sleep and see if any packages get lost, result: no packages, server running, Prinergy crashed and needing a restart of the server to carry on working.
Pretty much pissed off here.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back