Usable area of a 28x40 sheet fed ?

Printing a perfect bound magazine.
I need to layout 16 pages on each side of a 28x40.

The guys at the press are pretty clueless and couldn't get a straight answer on the following:

1. How much of the 28x40 is usable for my artwork, and how much space on each side do I need to leave for registration, marks, etc?

2. Are there any Indesign templates out there for doing a perfect bound magazine specific to a 28x40 sheetfed? I'm not really sure how big I can make each page if I'm fitting 16 pages on each side of the sheet.

This will be a 96 page perfect bound magazine on 60lb paper, with a card cover.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Each press model, manufacturer and model year is going to have its own maximum printable area. You'll need to leave room for binders/folders gutters, bleeds, etc. I suggest speaking to the layout/imposition person at the shop.

A brand new US Heidelberg Speedmaster102 has a maxmium print area of 710 x 1,020 mm (27.95 x 40.16 in). An older model will vary somewhat. (source: Heidelberg - Speedmaster SM 102). Each Heidelberg press comes with a vinyl sheet showing this and other technical data. Heidelberg isn't the only press manufacturer out there but is generally the most common.

Magazine Guy,
the maximum page size is 6.5 x 9 for 16up (32 pages per press form 16 fronts/16 backs) on 28x40 allowing for bleed, bindery grind, color bars and press gripper and registration marks.

Last edited:
Magazine Guy,
the maximum page size is 6.5 x 9 for 16up (32 pages per press form 16 fronts/16 backs) on 28x40 allowing for bleed, bindery grind, color bars and press gripper and registration marks.

I think this is the answer I was looking for.
I want to fit 16up, I just wasn't sure about the space needed for color bars, etc.
Thanks!

I want to fit 16up, I just wasn't sure about the space needed for color bars, etc.
Thanks!

the print house will worry about those things--BUT--note: my specs are based on 1/4" gutters, some binderies prefer larger gutters especially for 'perfect binding' which requires a 'spine grind' and that could/will decrease the maximum page size.---best to contact your printer about how they will impose your project--then you only need to build the pages at the proper size and let them worry about the imposition.

Last edited:
Thanks!

the print house will worry about those things--BUT--note: my specs are based on 1/4" gutters, some binderies prefer larger gutters, especially for 'perfect binding' which requires a 'spine grind': that could/ will decrease the page size.---best to contact your printer about how they will impose your project--then you only need to build the pages at the proper size and let them worry about the imposition.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back