Water-Splashing Festival

Liao Jacob

Banned
Water-Splashing Festival -- held on New Year's Day, 1367, according to the Dai calendar -- was celebrated by both visitors and residents in Jinghong,
Xishuangbanna Dai Autonomous Prefecture in southwest China's Yunnan Province from April 12 to 18.

festival_dai.jpg

The annual Water-Splashing Festival is most important holiday of the Dai people. Held during the sixth month of the Dai calendar, usually falling in the middle of April, it is also known as the Festival for Bathing the Buddha.

Although there are numerous legends about the origin of the festival, one of the best known tells of the long-ago days when there was a devil in the village where the Dai people lived, doing all manner of evil. All the people hated him but his magic was too powerful for them to overcome.

One day in the sixth month, his seventh wife, who had been kidnapped from the village, tricked him into revealing his weaknesses. As he slept, his wives used his hair to cut off his head. But the head began to burn when it touched the ground, and the fire would die only if one of the women held the head tightly in her arms.

So the seven wives took turns holding the head, each for a period of one year. Every year when they changed, people would splash water on the woman who had been holding the head for the past year to wash away the blood and a year of fatigue.

390388.jpg

As time went by, the ritual became a happy -- even raucous -- way to send off the old year and greet the new.

The days of the Water-Splashing Festival are filled with various activities: song and dance, dragon-boat races, the launching of rockets and the flying of Kongming lanterns, parades and fairs.

But water splashing is central to all because water is the symbol of holiness, goodness and purity. People gather along the roadsides and in public parks and squares armed with buckets and basins of water or

carrying squirt guns to drench each other in wishes for good luck and a happy new year.

390387.jpg

The Dai people account for 34 percent of the population of Xishuangbanna and form the biggest ethnic group in Yunnan Province

00221917f7600a74a91304.jpg

Hi Liao,

Which city are you from? I know Water-Splashing Festival, but didn't know how it came from. Did you ever experience this festival?

Joy Jia

Joy, i am from Caton, China. Water-Splashing Festival came from Xishuangbanna Dai Autonomous Prefecture in southwest China's Yunnan Province, i have not experienced this festival yet, but i am hoping one day i could join this joyful festival with my friends, and i know much the ways of celeberating this festival.
Nearing the festival, people are busy preparing new clothing, rice cakes, water dragons and barrels. The elders gather in the temple and build a small room where the Sakyamuni ceremony worship takes place. Here, the water dragon, carved out of a huge wood block four to five meters long, is erected. It is painted and equipped with grooves.

Girls carry a basin full of water, which flows to the Buddha figure in the small room through the groove. The elder of prestige then carries flowers, which he dips in the water and spreads the water over people to bless them for luck and a good start in the New Year. At this time, people become excited, wishing each other the New Year's greetings. Young people lift barrels over their heads, pouring water on the hands of the elders to bless everybody with a happy life, good health and longevity.

0415_B45.jpg

The elders extend their hands and hold water in greeting and blessing the young people. After the ceremony, people form a line behind the elephant-leg drum, streaming on the spring side, riverbank and start singing, dancing, chasing and splashing each other.

The Water Splashing Festival is considered the ceremony the De'angs celebrates in the New Year and an opportunity to scope out their lovers. Sending the bamboo basket is popular among the De'angs. Late at night, boys visit girls and present baskets to them; the most beautiful one is kept for his beloved girl to express his love and to get her feedback.

20080725030059983-m.jpg

Hence, every girl can get several baskets, but the final lover is determined at the Water Splashing Festival depending on whose basket the girl will carry. That day, as every girl carries a pretty basket the boys observe the baskets on the girls' backs to see which one belongs to him. When the two lovers meet, they splash water on each other to express their agitation and gladness.

xin_2620604181102468941319.jpg

That's funny. So if I have a chance to join the Water Splashing Festival, maybe I can find my lover there? hahaha.....

Okay, just kidding.....

Thanks Liao.

Joy Jia

That's funny. So if I have a chance to join the Water Splashing Festival, maybe I can find my lover there? hahaha.....

Okay, just kidding.....

Thanks Liao.

Joy Jia

We experienced two Water Splashing festivals in the Lincang prefecture of Yunnan. Nothing like the photos from Xishuangbanna, but the young folks got soaked nonetheless. (Being a middle-aged foreigner, I only received a few polite sprinkles.)

We experienced two Water Splashing festivals in the Lincang prefecture of Yunnan. Nothing like the photos from Xishuangbanna, but the young folks got soaked nonetheless. (Being a middle-aged foreigner, I only received a few polite sprinkles.)

i am really envy you, J.Graham, count me in when you join that party next time

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back