Waterproof / Water-resistant substrate options?

ReproElectroProspero

I have quite a few customers that order signage from our shop that goes on Rite-In-The-Rain (RITR) paper. If you are unfamiliar, this is a digital compatible stock that feels like 20#, but has a special coating that makes it last much longer when wet, basically making it waterproof 20#. My town has a ton of parks, and these signs are posted in various outdoor areas to deter camping, provide event signage, or warn of wildlife dangers. They are really only needed to be waterproof for a day or two max, in most cases.

As you all know well, paper costs are increasing significantly. It's gotten to the point where I'm going to start having to tell these customers that we won't print on RITR for them anymore (we're an in-plant). I'm looking for ideas and alternatives on how to provide customers waterproof / water-resistant digital prints without breaking the budget. I know synthetics are an option, but the last time we tried to run synthetic on digital it was a static, jamming, plastic-melted-into-the-fuser kind of of nightmare. Perhaps things have changed and there's better brands?

Or perhaps you guys laminate things like this? Or have a special coating method that creates water resistance? Maybe a knockoff temu brand of RITR? lol. Very curious to hear ideas on how to provide this kind of signage as cost-effectively as possible. I was about to suggest to one customer who's asking for RITR paper for a one-evening event, that they should just use 110# index which won't get destroyed overnight in most cases. But I worry it'll be pouring rain and ruin them immediately. Hoping to find better options

Thanks for any ideas!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back