Xerox 700 - Splash RPX-iii - Mac - new install

colourz

I've leased a Xerox 700 with a bustled RIP a month ago. I found the CommandWorkStation very light for making changes to color and more detailed printing, and was recommended to upgrade to Splash RPX-iii.

I upgraded to the Splash RPX-iii last week and have had nothing but trouble.

I am running CS4, Mac OS 10.5.5, acrobat pro 9, all on a brand new 3ghz dual core Mac Pro tower. Under no circumstances can I get the colorcal to scan and get an error every time. I've had my pre-sales analyst here for a full day and took the technical issue level 3, 4 days ago. No one seams to know what to do. Is anyone out there running this configuration? I am using the network connection, but today also ran a crossover cable for a direct connection, but could not get the RIP to recognize the Splash from my Mac (not a good sign)

When I had the Xerox installed we had trouble with the scanner (calibrating it), and when the service tech got the scanner calibrated, I lost major tonal gradients and detail:( in the highlights. He said once the Splash gets here that problem will be fixed. No such luck.

Any ideas? I am expecting a call from an engineer in the morning, but am not holding my breath.

Colourz

RPXiii on 700DCP

RPXiii on 700DCP

Hi Colourz,

I am very familiar with the RPX platform, and have supported them through vers I, II, and III here in New Zealand. It is by far the most colour accurate RIP on the market, and one of few capable of rendering all modern design elements correctly.

The 'complexity' of having a software RIP upstream of the bustled RIP does, however, baffle our engineers at times...

Are you still having trouble? I can give you solid tips on the best connection and configuration options for performance and reliability. Calibration also. I won't bother in this post in case you've already been taken care of.

That gradient stepping following scanner calibration on the bustled RIP is now fixed by a software patch, by the way. You should still have the RPX-iii though. I think you'll come to love its rasterizing power once it's set up correctly.

Let me know,

Glen.

PS. if you're serious about the colour, import a proper CMYK profile (FOGRA, SWOP, whatever you design to in CS4) and calibrate with an i1 spectro, not the scanner!

RPX-iii

RPX-iii

Hey Glen,

Thanks for the post. Good to see more Splash RPS-iii pros popping up. I've come a long way since that post and all for the better...

I've got the combo purring like a kitten now. The colour reproduction through the Splash is breathtaking at times, now that the colour space and screening have been optimized and tested well.

My business is art reproduction and I print mostly on cover stock, up to 14pt. I'm still calibrating off the glass and will take your advice to look into the i1 spectro. I have many years experience working with colour professionally, and know exactly when and how far off the calibrations are off, just by the colour sheets, I baseline 2-3 times a week and can repeat results every time now (repeat business is my bread and butter).

I'm still having trouble with the built in image shift in Splash (crashes the Xerox), and they are still working on that one.

It is truly is amazing the ripping powers and adjustments possibilities in Splash, with the combination of CS4, I have amazing upstream control.

All the best from the West Coast of Canada!

Scott

Ah good to hear you have it performing well now. As you probably know, Splash technology has its origins in quality colour proofing, but since the aquisition by EFI they have developed the product to interface with our "light" production systems instead. It is a nice fit because it expands the capabilities of both.

You need to apply a patch to your Fiery for that image shift crash. 1-16XA4Q is a composite that includes both of the following among its fixes:
1-14Q8ZT - IOT fault error 45-360 occurs when printed with image shift from Splash RPX-iii
1-15B0U6 - Adding image shift in Splash RPX-iii causes job to not duplex; job then fails with FC:127-211

I assume you are driving the bustled RIP via crossover now? It is the recommended method of course but does mean you need to manage the Fiery patches yourself, as it no longer has web access to autoupdate.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back