Xerox 700DCP w/ bustled EFI - black graphic on black BG output

koors

I just had a Xerox 700 Digital Color Press with bustled Fiery controller installed. Within a day we stumbled upon an issue. A designer has a black background (0% Cyan, 0% Magenta, 0% Yellow and 100% Black) so a true black (not rich or 4 color black. The designer placed 2 eps graphics in which the background of these EPS graphics are also a true black (0% Cyan, 0% Magenta, 0% Yellow and 100% Black). When output, the blacks of the placed graphics print a different hue of black then the solid black background that was build in InDesign as a true black as mentioned above. It doesn't matter if you knock these placed graphics out or overprint the placed graphics, the blacks still don't match up.

I've tried adjusting many RIP settings, tried sending composit, tried sending seps and recombining seps at the RIP, but still can't fix this issue. On screen it looks perfect, checking the seps in the soft proof all looks perfect, but when I go to print you can see the difference in blacks and you can see that the graphic now makes the proof look blocked out almost as if there was a transparency and there isn't.

Does anyone know how to avoid this, what settings to adjust? Even when I send out seps via the machine, the black sep shows variation in the blacks (you can literally see the blocks of the placed images).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

when i have similar problems to this i generally try different pdf versions (for different levels of flattening)

It output the same using Acrobat 7, Acrobate 8 and out of InDesign CS2 and InDesign CS3. Tried various flattenings thinking a layering issue, knock-out issue or overprint issue and still no fix. I tried changing the black detection settings in the RIP, still the same problem. I tried send seps, then recombine at RIP and still same problem. I tried EoFill in Pitstop and that didn't work. I tried various flattening settings within the RIP and within Acrobat Distiller and still the same problem.

I know this somehow is the result of how the RIP is interpreting the post script of placed images black vs. the page layout programs black or how it's interpreting how these blacks are layered, but can't figure out how to trick the RIP into proofing it correctly the way it should accurately reflect this solid black??

Check your expert colour settings.
It sounds like one black is vector and the other a graphic, and the two are going through different colour paths.
Try setting the Black workflow to Rich Black On.

Something else to check would be the GCR option.
With 0,0,0,100 you'd want to have the GCR option set to Source GCR.

Tell yer printer to process all blacks, RGB & CMYK (text/graphics/images), see attached screenshot. That should get you the same colour. If you need a one colour black make sure to change it to pure black and not 'normal'. Or print the job as grayscale.

If that doesn't work you could rasterize the job, many ways to skin a cat. Why do the blacks have to match? I'd never print a solid black background as black only on these machines anyway...

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 223
I've seen this many times ... usually converting the file to a flattened PDF and sending to print as usual fixes the issue.

Do you have Pitstop to check the colors in the PDF?

Can you do a preview in your RIP and check the colors already processed?

this is probably a moot point, but does your designer have the buttons ticked in the preferences for indesign to output and display all blacks correctly? because if not, indesign will sometimes try to make a rich black.

Problem resolved... It was setting black setting to "normal" in RIP vs. Pure Black. Thanks for the assistance!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back