Xerox FreeFlow Print Server 8 with iGen 4

dozer0430

My shop just recently switched from an old (yet very reliable) Nexpress 2100 and Digital Front End to the (supposedly) latest and greatest Xerox iGen 4 with FreeFlow Print Server 8. We expected some adjustment time and a new learning curve for the operation of our new device setup, but not to the extent that we have seen.

We were told that this would be a fast, reliable, and easy to use device, but that has not been the case at all. We have had multiple problems from startup (which was 2.5 months ago), all of which have severely impeded our production. Our press supervisor estimates that we are only operating at about 40% efficiency on the digital side.

The variety of problems we are having seem to be caused by the FreeFlow Print Server 8 and include:

• Multiple issues with the built in Adobe PDF Print Engine including improper flattening and incompatibility with Xerox's own Device Link Integrator and the Advanced Preview

• Long processing times and imposition building times

• Imposition failures and print failures due to imposition, usually associated with cut and stack jobs

• FreeFlow GUI becomes slow, erratic, and unusable when a job is being processed

• Pre-processed job files failing to print

We have had other issues as well, but this paints a good picture. Having switched from an antique (in the digital print world) 7+ year-old Nexpress that had none of these problems makes this situation even more frustrating. Xerox techs are visiting us on a daily basis, and things have only marginally improved.

Is anyone else out there running an iGen 4 with FreeFlow Print Server 8?

If so, are you experiencing any similar problems and/or do you have any solutions?

I appreciate any help or advice I can get.

Thanks.

we can help you on the imposition side with our Impostrip On Demand: Scalable Server Edition. You can integrate it with FF or you can run it externally. It is an extremely fast, reliable and scalable imposition solution.

If you would like to dicuss possibilities, please contact me directly.

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics

raymond @ imposition.com

All I've ever heard about FreeFlow are negative comments. Even the sales reps/techs here advise against using it, and we were recommended to go Fiery/Creo.

From the picture I've built up of that FreeFlow I think the best thing you can do is get that RIP changed for a Fiery or Creo.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back