XMF is not a true workflow

Tell us more ?

Tell us more ?

We have had XMF installed for a couple of weeks now and I have to say it is not a workflow but a simple system that is overcomplicated.

I had to laugh when i read this;

FUJIFILM XMF is the first commercially available product to integrate the next generation Adobe PDF Print Engine, users are not only ensured of increased workflow speed and flexibility but also of a future-proofed modular technology that can grow with their business.

-- from here --> XMF | Fujifilm Global

As I was a product marketing manager at AGFA, I think we shipped a Mac based PDF RIP in 2002 right in their backyard...

Agfa - 過去の情報・Archives

Please share more - I have no real sense of what "simple system that is overcomplicated" means - is that like the make Hot Ice? Or is it "simple" in that it is a bunch of Acrobat Plug-ins, but complicate in that the interface is not intuitive?

Yep, I'd love you to elaborate too, cosmo, as the only thing slowing us from going from Celebrant to XMF at the moment is $$. The hardest thing is that you only really get to assess stuff AFTER you've bought and used it, regardless of vendor.

From what I've been led to believe so far, XMF:
-has a "render last minute" capability, on a page by page basis, due to its now breaking free from the grip of PostScript. (like all APPE 'flows, from other vendors). So, implicitly, it has "late page replacement" capability. In older .ps RIPs this was achieved through messy EPS (FPO replacement), setups. This has now been simplified due to the nature of the new beast.
-has a more-than-adequate imposition capability built in. I've quizzed Fujifilm people here on this, and it would seem to cover 95% of our imposition needs, including such stuff as shingling.

What I do know is that we increasingly have to do workarounds and watch our derrieres on transparency with CS4 files on Celebrant.

Hope this makes some sense.

XMF is a true workflow

XMF is a true workflow

We have had XMF installed for a couple of weeks now and I have to say it is not a workflow but a simple system that is overcomplicated.

Interesting comment. The word "workflow" is a compound noun; the words "work" and "flow" are both nouns and verbs. The word has many connotations. In order to use a "workflow" you have to know what it is that you want it to do. If you can't do that, and are starting every job from scratch, then you don't really need a workflow.

XMF certainly is a workflow. You need however to start-off by setting-up the defining parameters, working from your press formats and bindery intentions backwards, through screening and colour management considerations, through to input and preflight settings. You need to try and preset every conceivable repetitive task, then only change those on a job-by-job basis if you need to (the exception rather than the rule). Once you've done a specific job once, you can stream any subsequent similar repeat job through the same workflow.

With XMF it's really easy to repurpose any job at the last minute. For example you could have done the job for printing on a B1 press, only to find that that press can't be used and you need to use your B2 press. Not only does that meen a completely plate size and different imposition, but it could mean different dot-gain and colour management too. By exchanging the press icon in the workflow XMF will figure out all the changes and do it automatically. The same goes for splitting a job between offset and digital printing methods.

At the same time I'll comment to Celebrant users. Celebrant is based on the CPSI (PostScript) RIP, so it can no longer reliably RIP the newer PDF formats (it depends whether the designer has used the newer features in the latter versions of pdf ). The rebate value for upgrading from celebrant to XMF is considerable, so I would certainly recommend any Celebrant user to transfer the residual value that you have in Celebrant across to XMF now, while it still has a value! XMF is a modular system; it is certainly possible to trade just the Celebrant RIP across to XMF RIP (XMF Processor), and continue to use the external impostion and 3rd party workflow elements that you used before. Alternatively you can convert XMF to XMF Complete, which has all the functionality expected of a modern cross-media workflow.
regards,
Barry

Cosmo,

it's been a few months now. How is XMF working for you? My fuji rep is presenting this workflow because they dropped Trueflow for what he said is bad customer support. Any update would be appreciated.

Heck, if you want a truly modular workflow then you should look at PowerSWITCH. You can create a lights out production system or a modular one where you automate tasks that make sense in your environment to automate. Things like sending or receiving emails, FTP, network, getting files from URL's, etc. Taking in different file formats and converting to PDF. Preflight the PDF's with the preflight engine of your choice (Callas or Enfocus), flattening of transparency, managing color. You can integrate with proofing systems from ICS and others. Impose jobs with Quite, Ultimate or Dynagram. You can even use Metrix if you like. Then send the files off to be RIPped and trapped with an existing workflow or using a Harlequin RIP. If you want automated trapping we can plug-in iTrap from Lucid Dream and tie it all together. Proofing is a snap also. Using scripts you can log job status information into your MIS system or create a system status dashboard.

You build a modular workflow with the tools you want and need. You upgrade the workflow with other tools as you need without having to go back to Kodak, Agfa or Fuji. If it's a program that Enfocus PowerSWITCH can control or feed with a hot folder you can add it to your workflow. The workflows can be upgraded any time in a very easy to use way.

Cosmo,

it's been a few months now. How is XMF working for you? My fuji rep is presenting this workflow because they dropped Trueflow for what he said is bad customer support. Any update would be appreciated.

We have been using it for about 4 months now. My 'take' on it may be from a limited viewpoint. We essentially regarded it as a necessary step from CPSI to APPE. (We were on Celebrant). We are not, (currently at least), looking for leaps in automation, as we are a fairly low volume in-house operation, although our content has to be watched very carefully as we do mostly glossy, short-run entertainment printing.
Overall, pretty happy. Ugly/dangerous flattening issues have pretty much disappeared with APPE. Having got used to the on-board imposition, I like it, and it's fully integrated, so late page replacement works really well.
Cosmo is right...beware the imposition license thing. If you have more than 1 operator, and you're a busy place, make sure you push for enough imposition seats. If you have fewer than the number of operators, and it's not on a dedicated machine, someone will have to QUIT the client before someone else can pick it up. A PITA. Reps can undersell this aspect, for their own reasons.
If you've used Dynastrip or PREPS, your learning curve on the impo will not be too bad. Certainly some similarities with Dyna, particularly.
I like the PDF proofing, also the Viewer 3D proofing.
If there are any nitty-gritty things, ask. May be able to answer some stuff.

We have a Windows server (HP), running XMF. All apps, including XMF Clients, are on Mac.

No real stability problems, apart from XMF Client not being compatible with Snow Leopard yet, and a bit sluggish running the Clients on PPC/10.4.11. Snow Leopard fix supposed to be in March.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back