XMpie Visibility Layer Help Please

Yookaroo

Hi guys looking for anyway I can save some time, we have XMpie Udirect and I have 6 files all with about 10 - 12 layers in each. I need to turn this into one big mailing.

My data file contains codes which I have named the layers after, now I am going to merge the layers (Fronts and backs) into one big file that will have about 120 layers.

Each of these layers has quite a few variable text spots, no graphics variables, just static.

First off I am wondering if there is a way in perhaps qlingo to quickly link the code to the layer.

Secondly, any advice? feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Ok, I guess my first question is not doable.

Perhaps my best approach would be with Qlingo then??? If I have a column in my record called codes and I want to turn on a layer based on a match in that column to a layer name is that possible??? as I have over a hundred layers and codes, I am trying to save assigning each to a visibility and perhaps making a mistake.

:confused:

If I understand your question correctly, it seems that XMPie's built-in layer visibility control would be the way to go. Assuming your data names and your layer names match exactly - which could be verified easily with a proof set - you would simply need to activate the visibility (Codes) for each layer in InDesign. Granted, turning on the layer visibility for 120 layers may be a bit time consuming, but I think it's still the most logical answer to your problem, unless there's something I'm missing.

I'm fairly certain that there is no way to programmatically assign the visibility ADOR (or any other ADOR for that matter) to a InDesign Element, be it a layer or any other object.
Looks like you're stuck with the tedium of assigning each ADOR to each layer in Indesign.

ya

ya

Or the images title could be in the data, and you could just have it as a straight graphic field. If they are recurring elements I suppose yeah you'd just have to have use layer visibility ::

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back