XP's no longer supported

motormount

Hi all!

Not sure if it's on the right section -IT- but it's the heidelberg soft i'm worried about mostly.

We run prepress manager 2011-server,meta and shooter- on 2008 server and win7 dell pc's.

On the other hand the cockpit client,signa,acrobat pro and pitstop-where 95% of daily tasks is done- are installed on a xp system.

Internet use for this pc is surfing on press and photo sites-printplanet,b4print,dpreview,gwg prepressure and the like- and checking my mail.

No messengers,fb,twitter,torrents.

With this kind of usage,even before microsoft stopped supporting xp's we never made any security-or any other kind- of updates and never had any problems .

We never upgrade unless something is not working and can't be fixed.

Management is very strict on expenses ,even for regular maintenance stuff,so i should be very confident before i propose any upgrade (to win7 or a server system) unless it is an absolute need.

So what's your opinion on that?

Any suggestion would be much appreciated!

The main thing is to make sure you use an up-to-date browser - not Internet Explorer 8 but the most recent FireFox or Chrome as well as updated versions of Java (if needed), Flash and Acrobat. I think that, combined with using a virus/mallware detector, goes a long way to making Windows XP as safe as possible.

I don't use ie,i have java disabled,but i don't understand why should i have acrobat updated -for security reasons that is-

Thank you anyway!

PDF is a very versatile file format which supports embedded scripting. There are security flaws in PDF reading applications such as Acrobat that, if not patched, might allow a rogue PDF to execute some malicious code. I wouldn't expect regular PDF files that you get from customers to pose any threat. It is that interesting-looking PDF that you found on a web page somewhere and that automatically opens in a browser window that potentially poses a security risk. So if you use Adobe Reader in your browser, make sure to install its security related updates.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back