Want to know SOPs for quality printing

What I find interesting is that you didn't mention the customer in your definition. What would your definition be if you put your customer as the focus? Would you change it or leave it the same? If you would change it how would you change it?
There are many sort of customers, I can not satisfy many costumers even nobody can satisfy their all. if i am technically strong i can produce quality and automatically meet costumers requirements.
This is my opinion.

You are so right. After being in the printing industry for 25 years, I've learned not everyone is going to be satisfied!! But I've also learned to ask my self while printing a job, " is this good enough that if I was the customer would I pay for this job?" I hope you achieve what you are trying to do :)

I think I understand what Gordo's point is. We have two sides to our factory, one produces charitable gaming. The image "quality" of these items don't hold much value to the customer. They are more worried about the payouts coming out the way the should, not if the color on the ticket holds up to GRACoL standards. You need to know what the customer is using the product for, then you can start to determine what quality is.

There are many sort of customers, I can not satisfy many costumers even nobody can satisfy their all. if i am technically strong i can produce quality and automatically meet costumers requirements.
This is my opinion.

You're having good insights. This is a very important issue - although it might seem that I'm being obtuse or pedantic just because of the nature of a forum. This discussion usually happens live with printshop management whiteboarding the issues which makes the process easier to follow.

First rule of course when talking about "quality" in printing is to never use that word to describe anything related to print production or the printshop. If you start to use it, stop, and rethink what you're trying to say or think, then replace the word "quality" with the correct term that describes what you actually mean.

Here's an example of how the thinking breaks down:

From a "quality" point of view - these two restaurants are identical:

Restaurants_zpsh8ey8a1w.jpg

Both can deliver a similar commodity - a hamburger with fries and a soft drink.

What else do they have in common that makes them identical in terms of "quality"?

They both have:
1- A clear understanding of their customer profile/demographic and expectations
2- Have tailored their operations (product/environment/services, etc.) in accordance to their customers' profile/demographic and expectations
3- Clearly defined standards of operation to meet their prospective customer expectations
4- Have established clear standards of input from their materials suppliers.
5- Have clear specifications as to how to achieve those standards in a cost effective and cost efficient manner.
6- Have trained their personnel in how to align their efforts to achieving the company's business goals
7- Have established a feedback loop, both internally and externally, to continuously monitor performance against promise/goals to enable continuous improvement and drive out errors and/or poor performance.
8- They also communicate effectively to their prospective customers how they set and deliver according to customer expectations.

Now, if you only look at a small part of the equation - e.g. technical specifications - in isolation, or perform one action - e.g. measuring some aspect of the process then IMHO, you will never be a quality printer.

If you want to be a quality printer, then you first have to look at the big picture. Understand where you are and where you want to be. Then you can chart the path by establishing the criteria needed to get there. Look at the 8 items (I'm sure there's more) and expand each one by listing all of the elements that make up each one. Write all this down as a chart. Then explore and define all of the resources needed to realize each one. If you're not the decision-maker then you'll need to build consensus within the company so that everyone has the same understanding and buys in to achieving the goal.

Last edited:
What I find interesting is that you didn't mention the customer in your definition. What would your definition be if you put your customer as the focus? Would you change it or leave it the same? If you would change it how would you change it?
as mentioned quality printing is in the eye of the beholder. To me whats most important is that the printer defines the level of quality, and allows his customer base to follow as opposed to the moving target of having ones customers define quality. One of the most confusing and frustrating things an employee can encounter is the constantly changing standards that occur when a business allows its customers to define the standards.

@Turbotom... I totally agree with you. Printer should know what he is printing and what standard can he offer to its customers.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back