24pt C1S....

kdw75

We have a full color job that we run a couple times a year on our 4 color GTO. It is on 24pt. C1S and has always run without issues, but it takes a little work to get the press setup for running it. I also worry about damage caused from a jam, though it hasn't ever happened. The job is actually small cards that are around 4x6 inches that we run quite a few up on a 14x20 inch sheet. The quantity is usually only around 300-500 sheet so I am wondering if it would do any harm to try running some of this stock through out Xerox 560. I hoped that if I had the grain the right direction and ran a short and wide sheet, that it might feed it ok from the OHCF, but I don't want to do any damage to the imaging parts of the machine, like the fuser.

I wouldn't even try...
That model Xerox is only rated up to 110 lb. cover.

Yeah. Xerox told me 14pt was the max, but I wasn't sure if it just wouldn't feed or if it would damage the machine. We are in the process of upgrading it to a C75, though I think it has the same maximum weight.

Yeah, please don't. It would have a similar effect if you'd try running a plywood trough your press

I'm surprised running a stock of such gauge through your GTO isn't damaging it as well. Aren't the blankets getting smashed after a few sheets? I've seen the aftermath of commercial shops trying to run such board through an SM and it was ugly. They made CDs for this reason...

Perhaps you should look at outsourcing this job to somebody with a flatbed or manual feed UV wide-format device?

I'm surprised running a stock of such gauge through your GTO isn't damaging it as well. Aren't the blankets getting smashed after a few sheets? I've seen the aftermath of commercial shops trying to run such board through an SM and it was ugly. They made CDs for this reason...

Perhaps you should look at outsourcing this job to somebody with a flatbed or manual feed UV wide-format device?

This time the quantity is going to be 20,000, and it is 12-on, so it isn't going to be as small as I was anticipating. They keep saying they are going to quit running it on such heavy stock, but that was 3 years ago. Originally yes it was a 1-color job and we ran it on our old Chief 29A and it ran that board like a champ, but then they changed it to 4-color.

As for running it through our GTO, when I back off the impression all the way it comes out to being the correct setting for 22pt material and with the spongy nature of the stock it seems to work just fine. My main problem was getting the double sheet detector not to trip on every sheet, but that was fixed by adding a small weight to the trigger under the register board.

Last edited:
At that quantity it's probably worth at least calling up an a nearby folding carton plant (that has offset equipment) up and having them quote you this job. You'd be surprised how short and on-demand the runs have become. Great to hear of a GTO still pounding 'em out. I used to work in a shop with 6 GTOs. I can see/smell the oil pans from across the internet!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back