Heidelberg CD, Man Roland 505, KBA Rapida 75, Ryobi 755 - 29" format

barryhot

Hi I am looking to upgrade to a larger format press and I will primarily be running 24pt stock. We presently run a Ryobi 524gx and overall have been happy with it so I would consider a Ryobi again. I know people generally recommend a Heidelberg CD but I was hoping to get input on other brands as well. Price will be a factor and that is why a Heidelberg may be out of my range. I would be needing the larger format B2 size that can print up around 23" long.

Local service would generally play a big factor but in my area there is no longer dedicated Heidelberg techs so service will not be super easy regardless of which press I go with. In the past few years I know a few KBA presses have come into town so perhaps they may have service techs coming through. I know Heidelberg operators are more plentiful so would pretty much need to train someone from scratch for anything else. I hear the Man Rolands can be tough to learn...how about KBA?

Most of my runs will be between 1,000 - 10,000 sheets. In most cases paper grain will be correct (23" x 29" sheet) but when I do run wrong grain it will be a smaller sheet most likely (19" x 25").

I am also pretty much a 1 shift shop so not huge volumes and therefore don't want to break the bank.

As for vintage I am hoping to get something maybe 2008 or newer...unless there are recommendations for certain years to stay away from.

Any thoughts on the above mentioned presses?

Thanks

Hi I am looking to upgrade to a larger format press and I will primarily be running 24pt stock. We presently run a Ryobi 524gx and overall have been happy with it so I would consider a Ryobi again. I know people generally recommend a Heidelberg CD but I was hoping to get input on other brands as well. Price will be a factor and that is why a Heidelberg may be out of my range. I would be needing the larger format B2 size that can print up around 23" long.

Local service would generally play a big factor but in my area there is no longer dedicated Heidelberg techs so service will not be super easy regardless of which press I go with. In the past few years I know a few KBA presses have come into town so perhaps they may have service techs coming through. I know Heidelberg operators are more plentiful so would pretty much need to train someone from scratch for anything else. I hear the Man Rolands can be tough to learn...how about KBA?

Most of my runs will be between 1,000 - 10,000 sheets. In most cases paper grain will be correct (23" x 29" sheet) but when I do run wrong grain it will be a smaller sheet most likely (19" x 25").

I am also pretty much a 1 shift shop so not huge volumes and therefore don't want to break the bank.

As for vintage I am hoping to get something maybe 2008 or newer...unless there are recommendations for certain years to stay away from.

Any thoughts on the above mentioned presses?

Thanks
It is possible to get 19"x25" with the grain oriented in its long direction. As long as youve got a cutter large enough to handle it, you can purchase your stock 38"x50" and quarter it. Using a sharp knife and back trimming all non factory cut edges would of course be a MUST.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back