Issue with commas in XMPIE

urville

I've been taking on freelance work, and I have a ton of experience with Darwin. This client has given me a copy of XMPIE and in many ways it is functionally similar. However, when setting up addressing and adding Suite/apt numbers, we used to just add an argument in darwin that IF the suite column had text present to insert a comma and space before the data present in the suite column. In XMPIE I cant seem to figure out how to do the same thing for the life of me. I assume it should be simple, but it seems to be the one thing not covered in the help PDF.

Can anyone clue me in?

You've probably already figured this out by now, but XMPie has a function called "IfNullOrEmpty."

You use it like this:

if(IsNullOrEmpty(|->[ADDRESSLINE2]))
{
|->[ADDRESSLINE1]
}
else
{
|->[ADDRESSLINE1] & ","
}

This was IMMENSLY helpful!! I thank you and owe you, and I have one more! of course :)

How about if I am inserting addressing and have say a field called title, and every so often it is blank, I cant seem to find the command to make it ignore the line, instead I get weird looking addressing because its just blank between them.

This was IMMENSLY helpful!! I thank you and owe you, and I have one more! of course :)

How about if I am inserting addressing and have say a field called title, and every so often it is blank, I cant seem to find the command to make it ignore the line, instead I get weird looking addressing because its just blank between them.

Set up a new content object called "FULLNAME" (or whatevs), and make that object do the following:

if(IsNullOrEmpty(|->[title]))
{
|->[firstname] & " " & |->[lastname]
}
else
{
|->[title] & " " &|->[firstname] & " "& |->[lastname]
}

Better late than never (at least for archival purpose): I think the XMPie uCreate Print "Suppress Trailing Spaces on Empty Content" (available when you right-click an InDesign tagged text frame) would help.

See uCreate Print User Guide 6.2 page 99.

Yes, but then you have to worry about the space between the title and the first name, which won't be suppressed by XMPie.

Example: Mr.[SPACE]E. D.[SPACE]Ott.

The spaces in brackets won't be suppressed, because you enter them manually. They're not part of the data.

Yes, but then you have to worry about the space between the title and the first name, which won't be suppressed by XMPie.

Example: Mr.[SPACE]E. D.[SPACE]Ott.

The spaces in brackets won't be suppressed, because you enter them manually. They're not part of the data.

To accomodate that, you don't put the full name in one data field, rather sperate fields for each name.

[FIRST NAME] [M. INITIAL] [LAST NAME]

the space after the first name is a hard space in the text box in InDesign and not assigned to XM PIE while the Middle intial rule has the space added only if data is present in the middle initial field.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back