Collapse
Canon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iMac 5k anyone?

Getting ready to upgrade my Mac and am looking at the new iMac 5k. Just wondering if anyone else has jumped in need why your review is and what specs you went with.

Got one a week ago, got the 1 TB fusion drive, I7 chip, and filled it up with Kensington memory . . . screen is amazing . . . the OS . . . well . . . I'lll put it this way, I have an appt at the Apple Genius Bar on Tuesday - I guess I will see how smart those guys are - so I won't say anything bad . . . . yet . . .
    "If you think you are too small to be effective
    you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."

Comment

Yes, also interested in what you guys think as this is in our near future for one of our designers. He's pretty geeked about it.

Comment

Originally posted by dabob View Post
        Got one a week ago, got the 1 TB fusion drive, I7 chip, and filled it up with Kensington memory . . . screen is amazing . . . the OS . . . well . . . I'lll put it this way, I have an appt at the Apple Genius Bar on Tuesday - I guess I will see how smart those guys are - so I won't say anything bad . . . . yet . . .
        Why gpu did you go with? And what is the problem you are having?

Comment

I just ordered a 5K machine today. Looks like 1 to 2 weeks before it comes in.
          4.0GHz QC i7 Turboboost 4.4GHz
          8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
          1TB Flash Storage
          AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

I will add 16 gigs of ram to bring it up to 24 to start and then eventually to 32 gigs. A lot cheaper doing it yourself then what Apple charges.

Comment

thats what i got but the better graphics card and went to 32 upon arrival . .. will be talking to the "Geniuses" it will be interesting to hear what they have to say to my ?s . . .

Comment

There is a better graphics card? I only had two options when building my iMac, the AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB GDDR5
              and the AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR. I went with the better one from the options I had.

Comment

My baddd i went from memory ( which is not that good anymore) I thought it was a choice of a 4 or an 8 . . . .gb . . . and a terrabyte fusion drive . . . really good screen, really quick, really frustrating figuring out an os that been out a couple three weeks . .. well - I'm off to the apple bar (might stop at that other bar on the way home)

Comment

My baddd i went from memory ( which is not that good anymore) I thought it was a choice of a 4 or an 8 . . . .gb . . . and a terrabyte fusion drive . . . really good screen, really quick, really frustrating figuring out an os that been out a couple three weeks . .. well - I'm off to the apple bar (might stop at that other bar on the way home)
                  Are you new to Apple computers? Yosemite is not that much different then Mavericks. I can see maybe it being confusing if you had not used OS X before, or if you were using an ancient version of the OS.

Comment

I helped a client of mine set up a new iMac 5K last night. She LOADED it with a 3TB HD and 32GB of RAM.
                    I spent about 3 hours in front of it.
                    It is a cool machine. BUT... at the distances that most people sit away from the display, I do not see a compelling reason to lay out the extra cash for the hi-res display.

Comment

22 years new . . .

Originally posted by wonderings View Post
                      Are you new to Apple computers? Yosemite is not that much different then Mavericks. I can see maybe it being confusing if you had not used OS X before, or if you were using an ancient version of the OS.

new since 1992 . . . last os was 10.6 - not all that confusing but they hide the user library . . . haven't figured out how to migrate my mail ethernet keeps losing connectivity after going to sleep, hooking up a vga monitor as a second without screwing up netflix, adding a windows shared printer, adding a specific pdf print driver among other questions.

Comment

new since 1992 . . . last os was 10.6 - not all that confusing but they hide the user library . . . haven't figured out how to migrate my mail ethernet keeps losing connectivity after going to sleep, hooking up a vga monitor as a second without screwing up netflix, adding a windows shared printer, adding a specific pdf print driver among other questions.
                        A fair bit has changed since 10.6 The issue with the library folder being hidden happened a few version back. It is very simple fix:
                        Show User Library Directory in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion & 10.8 Mountain Lion | OSXDaily

Moving your mail should be very simple as well, just follow these instructions:
                        How to Move Your Email to Another Mac | Macinstruct

No idea about the netflix stuff, I have not used dual displays since 10.6.

The windows shared printer should show up automatically when you go to setup a new printer, but I know that can be tricky at times. Well good luck with all the little things, should be no problem for them to get you up and running.

Comment

Got time to get back into it this pm . . . made a new user - mail xfered like it should - haven't addressed the multi monitor issue but haven't used a single monitor for five years now and three screens for the last 2 or so years . . I like real estate . . . the "shared printer" just don't show up . . cant find it via ip since its shared . .. all the big stuff is going to work its the little fine tuning stuff that makes me nuts . . . I guess I'm just an old dog and take to new things as easily . . .

Comment

Received my iMac 5K 2 days ago. Love the screen. The performance, well it is not what I was expecting. Anyone finding Acrobat and Indesign run super slow? This is a maxed out iMac 5K, i7 4ghz, 24 gigs of ram, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 gigs gpu. Spec wise this should be more then double the speed of my Retina MacBook Pro, but the Retina MacBook Pro seems better with PDFS and Indesign.

Is this an Adobe issue, an Apple issue? Hardware? Could an OS update see improvements?

Comment

Originally posted by wonderings View Post
                              Received my iMac 5K 2 days ago. Love the screen. The performance, well it is not what I was expecting. Anyone finding Acrobat and Indesign run super slow? This is a maxed out iMac 5K, i7 4ghz, 24 gigs of ram, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 gigs gpu. Spec wise this should be more then double the speed of my Retina MacBook Pro, but the Retina MacBook Pro seems better with PDFS and Indesign.

Is this an Adobe issue, an Apple issue? Hardware? Could an OS update see improvements?
                              I'd be interested to hear any responses to this since I too am getting ready to replace some 2007 Mac Pro's with an iMac's. I don't want anything less than an I7 core but I'm still want to make sure I'll be ok since we have some accounts that just love transparency. Opinions?

Comment

KBAAvantiSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploXerox4OverCanon

Zero Setup Time

Collapse

Zero Setup Time:
                              Myth Or Reality?

As the twenty-first century opened, Koenig & Bauer had already anticipated the need for the coexistence of conventional and digital printing, and had begun to develop the technology that is today empowering offset printers to meet those challenges.

Read the Article.

Smartsoft (Presswise)AvantiKBAXerox " "DuploCanon4Over

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9162 users online. 84 members and 9078 guests.

Most users ever online was 14,674 at 05:29 AM on 10-30-2019.

Working...
                              X