Stopped - 'Filter' failed

graphicsource

I desparately need a solution...

I am getting the error "Stopped - 'Filter' failed" when printing.

How the heck am I supposed to get separations of my art with the correct line screen and dpi without postscript? This affects just about every printer in the world, right?

Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Intel T2
InDesign via Adobe Creative Suite, up to date
HP Laserjet Pro 5100 used as a CTP printer
I had problems with my external HD, so I do not have a Time Machine backup.

Does anyone have a solution?
It showed up after I updated to Sonoma. I hear Sonoma removed postscript capabilities, so I downgraded to Ventura 13.6.2 because it was the only Ventura I could find an installer for. It's the version right before Sonoma. WELL, after jumping through 100 hoops, I finally got Ventura 13.6.2 installed, but I'm still getting the error. It's been 4 days of constant troubleshooting. I've also reset the printing system a gazillian times. There is no more updated PPD for the HP5100 because of it's age, but until updating to Sonoma, it was working fine. My next step is to maybe go back to Monteray and see if it still exists then.

Does anyone have a workaround?
I tried writing a postscript file, which works ok for separations and screens, but it always cuts off the artwork.
I tried using Acrobat to print separations and is gives the same error.

I NEED plates!!! Right now, my printing business is on hold!!!!

Can you print from a Windows PC? hopefully you can find a more elegant solution in the future, but that should work for now.

I desparately need a solution...

I am getting the error "Stopped - 'Filter' failed" when printing.

How the heck am I supposed to get separations of my art with the correct line screen and dpi without postscript? This affects just about every printer in the world, right?
No, it doesn't affect every printer in the world, only those who are trying to get by without a proper workflow.
Perhaps it's time to move on to a DFE which will impose, separate, screen and output your files and give you much more control than you get by printing separations from a desktop application to a Postscript device. There are plenty of options out there and many available on the second hand market, although if buying second hand, make sure licenses are transferable before committing.

No, it doesn't affect every printer in the world, only those who are trying to get by without a proper workflow.
Perhaps it's time to move on to a DFE which will impose, separate, screen and output your files and give you much more control than you get by printing separations from a desktop application to a Postscript device. There are plenty of options out there and many available on the second hand market, although if buying second hand, make sure licenses are transferable before committing.
We are a small sheetfed shop. We have no need for imposition. This is the proper workflow for a shop our size. The one thing I should do is find a system with a dedicated RIP and output. Even a DFE requires a PDF or Postscript, and neither of those are working right now.

The Digital Front End (DFE) is the workflow touchpoint that accepts a print file, commonly a PDF or PostScript file in today's print environment, and turns that file into a format that the print engine (toner or inkjet) can use to lay down the content on the substrate.

For anyone else that needs a solution, this is what worked for us...
Instead of using the 5.1.1 HP Driver bundle, we used the 3.1 HP Driver bundle.
I don't know if the issue would exist with Sonoma or not, I'm just happy to have found a working solution.

If this puts your business on hold when a MacOS update causes this issue, you need to budget for and purchase a PC to use in these cases.

I've been running a Mac based shop for almost 15 years. I've encountered this error DOZENS of times. It's usually fixed by removing and reinstalling the driver, often with a different version. Sometimes it even works by just retrying until the "filter" doesn't fail.

However, because printing is mission critical, I purchased a PC that we use only sparingly. It's used for issues like this, any Windows only software we need or want, and for backup in case one of our machines dies. Well worth the investment. We're never down now, we're just annoyed lol.

If this puts your business on hold when a MacOS update causes this issue, you need to budget for and purchase a PC to use in these cases.

I've been running a Mac based shop for almost 15 years. I've encountered this error DOZENS of times. It's usually fixed by removing and reinstalling the driver, often with a different version. Sometimes it even works by just retrying until the "filter" doesn't fail.

However, because printing is mission critical, I purchased a PC that we use only sparingly. It's used for issues like this, any Windows only software we need or want, and for backup in case one of our machines dies. Well worth the investment. We're never down now, we're just annoyed lol.
Actually, the best solution would have been to have a backup available to go back to. It turns out it wasn’t actually the system, but the drivers, as you mentioned.

Do you not think drivers are part of a system? When these issues hit my shop all my Mac devices are impacted. Most recently happened a while after upgrading to MacOS Ventura. Thankfully Sonoma went off without a hitch.

Do you not think drivers are part of a system? When these issues hit my shop all my Mac devices are impacted. Most recently happened a while after upgrading to MacOS Ventura. Thankfully Sonoma went off without a hitch.
I have never gotten this error before on any previous upgrade, or in general. I have had many different printers through the years without having a problem like this. Moral of my story, don't forget the backup!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back