Best CTP for small printing company

Do not buy a JetPlate
Reasons - No Service and your heads will eventually clog on your Epson / Jet Plate Printer.
Remember Epson is not affiliated with Jet Plate -

Do not buy a JetPlate
Reasons - No Service and your heads will eventually clog on your Epson / Jet Plate Printer.
Remember Epson is not affiliated with Jet Plate -

Correct! Finally someone gets it! They also have a new product called (Ready for Laughs) Expressjet... same machine different name. SAME PROBLEMS!

Printware deserves a good look, they are inline with the Vanguard group which aquired Printware, Xitron and HighWater. Together these guys are producing some fine machines, and the costs are pretty good also. Xitron is a leader of RIP technolgies and is fully integrated into Printwares machines.

Good people, lots of integrity...

Give them a shot if your looking at a low cost laser CTP system..

I have nothing to sell you . I am a technician . The question you have stated to this fourm is this "We are a small printing company that mainly does 2 color work on a Printmaster QM 46 - 2 color. 13" x 18" plates. We are looking for a CTP systems that is economical."

there is alot of economical systems out there and there is alot of junk out there that can put a company out of business because of false promises, and "Oh by the way did you want meat with that hamburger. That will be an extra 3000.00 dollars" systems

I would like to know what are your specifications. such as what is your LPI requirements, can your current workflow be integrated into the new CTP workflow? Do you consider yourself a MOM and POP shop and looking for growth out of this market? Is your company looking to be green? there are alot of questions that need to be answered.

If you need assistance please feel free to [email protected]

Lot of good advice so far. Used equipment are selling at a ridiculous low price these days. No one mentioned the High End Scitex Lotem400 which has been around for awhile. Can expose plates from 12.5" up to 29.5". Use conventional thermal or "processless" plates which is the way to go for small shop. I have one for sale for less than 20K complete with RIP (installed, with training and 6 month warranty). Can't beat that...Can give you references of very satisfied users. Will support it as long as needed. Questions ? 513-312-7154.

I would avoid metal on the QM46 unless you have some extreme run lengths which would mean you probably need a bigger press. Even with the consideration of buying a used metal CtP solution especially one that will do half-size press plates it increases variable costs way too much. Once you figure the added costs of the metal plates, maintaining the larger more complex system, using more chemicals you have have shot yourself in the foot. 'Capstan' image setters are old technology that is far more reliable and inexpensive. Polyester plates in volume can be cheaper than metal by incredible lengths.

Last edited:
CTPPers...

Ritter mentioned <snip> 'Cap stand' image setters are old technology <snip>

A bit of trivia perhaps - but the term is "capstan". Originally coming from sailing,
in today's technical applications, a capstan is the drive wheel that controls the
advance of the media. In capstan imagers, the capstan drive would pass the
film past the path of the imaging CRT beam or laser. We still use a modified
capstan drive in our flatbed Advantage CTP devices for the newspaper market.

Many of you have a capstan mechanism in your VCR or tape recorder/players.
If you then ask "What's a VCR or Tape Recorder", then it's about time for
me to retire!

Regards,

Bravo Steve
The ECRM Mako series in my opinion is a great device. I am trained to on the device and I really think you get more for your money with this machine. The worst part about the unit is that it never breaks if you follow the preventative maint and cleanings. about 80-90 percent of failer on the device was customer error.

Jetplate replacement

Jetplate replacement

We are the very unhappy new business that made the horrible mistake in buying the Jetplate. We have two CTP on the table and need all of you to help us make a better decision. First, let me start by saying that because of the Jetplate issue money is tight We are looking to buying a used system, in the $20,000 to $30,000 range. We have been give two systems Fuji VX 9600, Violet plate processor, rampage 10.x level 3 workflow and the Creo Trendsetter 3244, (newer designed engine) 40 watt laser, Rampage 10.x level 3.

We are looking for advise, pros, cons and wisdom.

Thank you,

Dear User Name:

We could give you better guidance if we knew more about your requirements.
However, since you felt the JetPlate was initially a good fit, I'd assume that you
are a smaller shop, with modest or occasional plating needs.

All things being equal between the two systems proposed, I'd then look at
the cost of chemistry - especially during idle times. Due to the supposed
low volume, and the availability of the used system, you might want to look at
thermal - only because of the option of chem-free or "processless". Fuji'Kodak
systems will allow you to clean-out on press, whilst systems such as
Agfa, Heidelberg and Presstek remove coating in a wash-out unit.

However, the flip side is the laser life. Not knowing the condition of
the laser, a violet laser will probably outlive the life of the engine.

Good luck...

Gidgit:

I have the same Heidelberg presses......I recently bought (via ebay) the (polyplate) heidelberg QS-350 with the Glunz & Jensen processor (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT) and I am VERY VERY happy with this unit.......Before I made the purchase I had was using the same model platesetter EXCEPT it did NOT have the Glunz & Jensen processor, what a nightmare....KEEP AWAY from any of those platesetters. I have been using this CTP for about 5 months and it has been very reliable.....expect to pay 4500 to 6000........if you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Good Luck

Thanks, we are considering the Creo Trendsetter 3244, (newer designed engine) 40 watt laser, Rampage 10.x level 3.is this wattage enought for the processless plates?

"un happy jet plate guy "the print shop.
the one we are considering Creo Trendsetter 3244, (newer designed engine) 40 watt laser with 470 hours. our presses are qm 46 an sm 74 , Rampage 10.x level 3.
we have limited plate needs but need good plates

UserName asks:

<snip> we are considering the Creo Trendsetter 3244, (newer designed engine) 40 watt laser, ...
is this wattage enought for the processless plates?
<snip>

Azura TS is qualified on that configuration (based on the information you provided),
at about 16 40" plates per hour. For more detailed information, please work with
your local authorized agent.

Regards,

Ripit VM2 up for 20k complete or a Ripit used Polyester for around 8k will do the trick for years to come. All inclusive installed, trained, supported

DPM 2430 printing 4 color

DPM 2430 printing 4 color

Hi, I have a DPM 2340 and have a 4 color 14X20 press being installed. Will I be able to get those poly plates to work well printing process color work or will I need to go to metal plates? Does anyone have any recommendations. Thanks

We have had the rip-it VM system for about 4 years now and it is starting to have troubles just paid $1500.00 to have a motor cleaned and our plate pross the P20 just had a motor go out at the tune of $850.00 and we take very good care of our systems We would not buy a new one of these if we where looking just not that good of a system. If you do buy one use Fuji plates they run the best.

A client of mine last year got in an Xante/Ripit system (VM2). It will make a 20.88 x 19.88 metal plate. I admit that i was skeptical but found this small violet laser platesetter to be up to the job. The main drawback that I've had with it is that the Symphony RIP is very limited in its ability to do imposition. It will do it and has a lot of good features, but is certainly not as full-featured as a separate imposition program.

Having said that, the RIP is a full APPE (Adobe PDF Print Engine) RIP and can handle all the transparency issues that modern software can throw at it. For a low-end solution, I've found it to fill the bill.

Ripit

Ripit

Ripit is the best for economy, workflow and features, low maintenance unlike all the others, consisder the after purchase cost from these others, I have 2 used very nice ripit polyester and 1 violet 2up for sale that fit your needs. installed and supported by me, 10 year employee with hundreds of installations under my belt and a network of solutions for support

We have had the rip-it VM system for about 4 years now and it is starting to have troubles just paid $1500.00 to have a motor cleaned and our plate pross the P20 just had a motor go out at the tune of $850.00 and we take very good care of our systems We would not buy a new one of these if we where looking just not that good of a system. If you do buy one use Fuji plates they run the best.

Motor cleaned? 1500.00? This sounds like a very costly expense and then the $850 for the motor after 4 years, is this considered "high" maintenance cost? The motors come from Germany and are market priced against the Euro, they can be had much cheaper but to badmouth a system for what sounds like $850 over 4 years is ridiculous, that's the price of a phone call to most of the so called "manufacturers" of this kind of equipment. the $1500 motor cleaning well that sounds like somebody got "cleaned" alright.

I find it humorous that shops will spend thousands on press repair and rollers every year but they get hit with a bill on their CTP every 4-5 years and the thing is too expensive and a piece of junk.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back