Anyone using ID2Q?

Wondering if anyone is using or have heard about the InDesign to Quark converter called ID2Q. Thinking of purchasing but I'm concerned with reflow and transparency issues. Anyone know how solid this software is?

I can't imagine why anyone would want to convert perfectly good ID documents into Quark, but I'm sure you have your reasons. To me that is moving backwards.

I've used the opposite plugin Q2ID to take legacy Quark files into ID and it works great. You are correct that your most likely issues will be reflow and transparency so go over the resulting file with a keen eye for discrepancies, but it saves a lot of time rebuilding. The files I've used it on have been pretty simple, though.

Our prepress guideline forbids the usage of Q2ID plugin... go figure, someone dont like doing things the easy way. Instead they chose to save down Quark files from 7.5 all the way down to Quark v4 and then open layouts in Indy again. Moving forward we dont allow design dept to use Quark at all...the way Adobe is releasing full version updates every 18-19 months, something tells me this will blow up in someone's face and when it does it wont be pretty.

The Q8 2 CS4 plug in is nice. I used it for a job yesterday.

One thing I like about Quark 8 is the scale feature. Makes life easier if you are re-issuing a title in a new format. So, we take legacy Quark 4 files, open them in Quark 8, scale them, save, then convert to CS4 so that the designers can access the files (we only have the Graphic Production dept running Quark 8).

So far so good.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back