100% Vegetable based inks

bhm8hwcm

Is such a thing possible? I see some competitors promoting that they use 100% vegetable based inks. I use Toyo inks and supposedly they are 60% soy based with low voc which apparently is pretty decent. In my research online it appears as though some petroleum portion is required for drying requirements and therefore the 100% veggie claim is false.

Any comments?

The oil used to reduce the tack/viscosity can be 100% vegetable based i.e. (Linseed, Chinawood, Soy). However, the formula can't be 100% vegetale oil. There will be roughly 15-25% of pigment, 2-4% drier, 1-3% wax, and .5-2% of anti-oxidant.

Vegetable base and Solvent Free

Vegetable base and Solvent Free

I think that the key word in this thread is "based". To me, that means the vehicle, not the additives and pigments, of the ink.

Also, there is a big difference between Vegetable Based and Solvent Free. Toyo does have a completely Solvent Free Process Series of inks known as Toyo HyPlus 100. Having no solvents offers many advantages. In the San Francisco Bay Area many printers are enjoying this ink, and the benefits, greatly. This ink is so low in VOCs that it can be called a Zero VOC ink. It is specified as Zero to .1 lb/Gal. Also, because the vehicle is 100% vegetable (Soy, Linseed, etc.) it can be called 100% vegetable "based", IMHO . . .

Cheers!!

I think that the key word in this thread is "based". To me, that means the vehicle, not the additives and pigments, of the ink.

Also, there is a big difference between Vegetable Based and Solvent Free. Toyo does have a completely Solvent Free Process Series of inks known as Toyo HyPlus 100. Having no solvents offers many advantages. In the San Francisco Bay Area many printers are enjoying this ink, and the benefits, greatly. This ink is so low in VOCs that it can be called a Zero VOC ink. It is specified as Zero to .1 lb/Gal. Also, because the vehicle is 100% vegetable (Soy, Linseed, etc.) it can be called 100% vegetable "based", IMHO . . .

Cheers!!

Toyo's HyPlus 100 is not advertised as "100% vegetable based" - this simply isn't possible.

Superior Printing Ink sells a product that fits the need for ultra low VOC content and high vegetable derived content called BIOLOCITY. This product is also faster setting than many conventional sheetfed inks so printers have seen significant economic advantages, including the ability to not coat in many cases.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back