105XL CD operators

madjock

Hi everyone, I am currently running a 6 col 105Xl CD, the press is 13 months old but I have only been on it for 4 months, I initially noticed that there was a lot of ink on the bearers, grippers, cams and cam followers, almost like a duct had been leaking or someone had dropped ink down inside the press, but on closer investigation, I noticed that there is a huge build of ink on every unit right at the reverse nip of the blanket and impression clylinders, on and around the bar which supports the hickey picker.
I have checked all the settings and all are within tolerance, and the temps on the I.T cycle and fount are where they should be.
So my question is, is anyone running a 105 having a similar problem or is it just me, I am stumped on this one!!

I had thought it may ink fly, but the build up is nowhere near the ink train, which is very clean, it is right by the blanket and plate cylinder, also speedwise, we run in the range 12,000 to 17,000, still mystified!!

Hi madjock
Just read your thread regarding the ink build up on your press, are you getting a build up outside the sheet size you are printing on the blanket, if you are then you might be getting an issue referred to as "picture framing". If you look at the INKS AND SUBSTRATES forum on this site i asked a question about "picture framing" and what the term referred to, there are some helpful replies regarding ink and fount solution compatibility. In addition to that i always find that the ink builds up worse on blankets and cylinders when there is an old damper or fountain pan roller in the unit, but i think you are getting a problem with all units . have you changed supplier of your inks and chemicals or is the company cutting costs by getting cheap ink and fount. talk to your manager and your supplier.
I hope this helps regards johnyprint

are you running with the form rollers oscillating? are you running heavy coverage that would allow these rollers to move more ink to the ends of the rollers?

this may be a silly question but are you using tray liners for the cd 105 or are you taking ones from a cd 102?

Thanks for your replies thus far, in answer to your queries, we use Saphira inks, fount and sub which are all pretty good as far as I know, the rollers oscillate now and again, but most of the time they are locked, I have went through all the settings and all are good, the only thing I can see is the bar which supports the hickey picker is perilously close to both blanket and plate cylinder, but am still mystified as to why so much ink builds up so quickly.

You have excessive emulsification, I would consider running 1:1 with vario configuration. Also check the skew adjustment and try to keep it as low as possible usually around 8 - 9 full revs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back