2 spot color overlapping images w/ gradients

instante

Hi there!
ok, so I have a tricky one for you all.

I got this project in which there're 2 overlapping images both to be printed in a specific spot color.
I'm attaching a sample so you can get a better picture of it.

One of the images is a word with an outer-glow effect and it goes on top of a larger grayscale image.

The trick is how to get that gradient/glow around the letters to print right. It's 2 spot colors gradients overlapping and I wonder how should I make the color separation in this case.

Everything would be simpler if I just get rid of that outer glow, right? That's what the printing house recommended.

I'd like to have a second opinion from you guys.
I think it can be done somehow. What do you think?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 1.26.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 1.26.01 PM.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 246
Hi there.

What software have you used please to set this?

I'd guess that the glow is using CMYK/RGB for starters.

The background can obviously be black/grayscale. One plate.

I am going to test this right now in PS & ID using only 2 spot colours.

Will do a colour sep to confirm via InDesign - back soon!!

Mark.

Anyhow, why are you not printing CMYK?

I'd use a spot colour that is CMYK compat.

It normally costs more to print in spot colour these days - I doubt that your client has picked a Pantone colour that has to be a 100% perfect match considering the glowing effect applied?

Hi Mark,
I'm using PS. And I'm choosing to use a spot color to get close to that vivid RGB green. I'm going for Pantone 3245U.

There's no way to get near that in CMYK.

Plus my client has already aproved the budget for it.

Took me 5 mins to do this in InDesign.

Created a spot colour for the main text.

Set background as grayscale image.

Used the spot colour as the glow colour and main text colour...

Not sure why you are stuck on this? :)

Mark.

3245 is not CMYK ready but it would be damn close once converted!

BTW you want this on coated stock not uncoated if you want near RGB vibrant colours :D

Unless your client is very print savvy, a CMYK conversion would work.

Get wet proofs if needed.

What stock/substrate are you printing on?

Last edited:
BTW: I have been in this industry for over 20 years as a No.1 litho printer and graphic designer.

As a print manager, I sign off work for print in my day job :D

I'm affraid overlapping spot color gradients won't turn out as "continuous" as process color gradients.
Some recommend to overprint and gradient only the darker color over the lighter one. Know what I mean?

But that sounds easy to do in Illustrator and vectors. It's not my case.

As for the substrate, I have to go with uncoated stock because that's what my client uses for all his printed materials. That will take away some vibrance I know.

Last edited:
Just CMYK this job mate - it's not even being printed on coated stock!

If your client has chosen uncoated, then 100% matches for spots simply go out of the window.

Even different grades of paper will give different colours.

I guess this must be a litho job then?

The colour difference between coated and uncoated is massive to begin with.

If your client was that picky, you would know an exact paper stock....

Trust me, I'm a printer!

Only printers can tell the minute difference at the end of the day :D

You need two glows.
One around the green word. It should be also green and fade from x% outward to 0%.
The second one is also around the word but it is the background color. It fades from x% around the letters to 100% of the background color.
That way there is a hole in the background color where the green can print into.

Gordo

Just CMYK this job mate - it's not even being printed on coated stock!

If your client has chosen uncoated, then 100% matches for spots simply go out of the window.

Even different grades of paper will give different colours.

I guess this must be a litho job then?

The colour difference between coated and uncoated is massive to begin with.

If your client was that picky, you would know an exact paper stock....

Trust me, I'm a printer!

Only printers can tell the minute difference at the end of the day :D

Mark, actually my client isn't much behind getting a perfect color match. It's more me wanting a color that stands out on stock and, secondly getting it close to the screen color.

I picked that spot color using my uncoated Pantone+ Color Bridge guide and I thought it looked pretty good (the CMYK conversion doesn't look even close to the it)

By litho you mean offset, right? This is an offset job.

You need two glows.
One around the green word. It should be also green and fade from x% outward to 0%.
The second one is also around the word but it is the background color. It fades from x% around the letters to 100% of the background color.
That way there is a hole in the background color where the green can print into.

Gordo

Gordo, I thought on something like that on the first place! Just wasn't sure.
Then the printing house couldn't tell me if that was going to come out right and that probably the best was to remove the glow.
Obviously there's no print proof for this type of job.

My biggest concern is how the blend between both colors is going to look.

I have done items like this( naturipe 2 color logos with glows). I ened up creating a multichannel in photoshop so I could control what overprints and what blends ect. Was not an easy task - but then again I was given an RGB file to start with. Duotones would not blend correctly. As others have said I would go CMYK think the glow would look the best that way sacrificing a little pop on the "green".

Thank you all guys!
I think I'll end up sacrificing the glow. It's more important for this project to have a poppy green than the glow.
Anyhow I'll keep in mind your advice for future projects!

Thanks again!

Make the background grayscale and set up the text and glow in cyan. The pressman can throw any ink you like in the fountain.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back