4 Over is Pegging My Paranoia Meter

When I say they missed delivery deadlines, and I mean by a week! (They were starting up their NJ plant and were having press issues.)

I suggested transferring my job to another plant - no dice. I could not get past the generic customer support person. When finished, I offered to pick the job up to save a day and they refused. No cooperation whatsoever.

I hate their customer service, they are clueless to my needs. I had to experiment with other trade printers and I really like Accela Print because of their customer service.

Hope this helps.

Accela Print tops 4over

Accela Print tops 4over

I did something through 4over once for a customer of mine. Within a month, they were soliciting them (my customer) for printing. A lot of so called 'online trade printers' do this for their own good...:confused:

Once i started seeing their name on the boxes of brochures and business cards I said see ya! I found Accela Print and have not looked back since. I love Accela Print's customer service.

4 Over does an excellent job for us and helps us be competitive in offset but I've been suspicious of their motives for awhile, and my suspicions are growing for the following reasons:
1) They are putting their logo on cartons which means they are attempting to build their brand instead of building our (their print distributor's) brand. We re-box everything we get from 4 Over but why are they interested in building their brand?
2) Introduction of redtagprintsale.com. I got an email this week about this. Again, this moves branding away from us, their customers, to an entity that 4 Over appears to control. This erodes the market value and presence of independent printers.
3) Prospects and customers are beginning to be aware of 4 Over which means that their branding is working.
Due to the above we are beginning to look for an alternate vendor. If you have suggestions please let me know.

Try Accela Print their prices are as competitive if not more. Also you get a real person on the phone when you call in.

It is absolutely outrageous that 4Over has the nerve to put their logo boxes. There is no reason at all for this. Here are two reasons: #1 I sell to other resellers who may have used 4Over in the past, but now use me because it is easier for them since the customer service at 4Over is amongst the worst in the world (I use them because they usually print well if the file is proper). #2 - I have clients who may have bought from one of my competitors in the past who use 4Over, now they see the logo and know it is the exact same product so price becomes a much bigger factor.
The ONLY reason for a logo is to promote the product/company/service that the logo represents. If they are not self-promoting they need to lose their logo or lose their resellers.
I called them about this and it fell on deaf ears, as you would expect. I simply asked why they don't just leave the logo off. It obviously costs them more to print the logo than to have a blank white box (which they do sometimes use). Their answer was "I don't know, those decisions are made by management". The End.

I don't find the logo on the boxes. I use the plans in NJ and CA mostly. Where is it located? The only problem i have with 4over is that anyone can apply and become a trade member. I don't think they check background or anything. But sadly they got the best price and I'm still using them

My 1st experience with 4over's customer service......

Robin H: [9:19:00 AM] Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?
Andy (Zwicker P..: [9:19:00 AM] I need to cancel an order
Robin H: [9:19:04 AM] hi Andy
[9:19:13 AM] are you still able to cancel it through the site?
Andy (Zwicker P..: [9:19:57 AM] I don't see an option to cancel, though I ordered it about an hour ago
Robin H: [9:20:05 AM] what's that order number please?
Andy (Zwicker P..: [9:20:25 AM] B0356080350
[9:20:42 AM] What I really need to do is change the artwork
Robin H: [9:21:16 AM] Andy, I'm very sorry, but the order has progressed too far to cancel or make changes to it now
Andy (Zwicker P..: [9:21:46 AM] That's rediculous, I just placed the order. There's no way it's on a plate
Robin H: [9:22:10 AM] no, it is not on a plate, but it is in our collecting department now being put on a batch to be plated
[9:22:23 AM] Once there is a preview approved, the order moves on very quickly
Andy (Zwicker P..: [9:22:53 AM] I realize that, but the file was approved less then a half hour ago
Robin H: [9:23:31 AM] we don't pull orders back once they're in that department because it could delay other customers' orders
Andy (Zwicker P..: [9:24:07 AM] Can I at least change the shipping method
Robin H: [9:24:14 AM] yes, definitely
Andy (Zwicker P..: [9:24:24 AM] change it to customer pick-up
Robin H: [9:25:06 AM] ok, aren't you in Massachusetts?
Andy (Zwicker P..: [9:25:47 AM] Yeah, I'll be in the area for the holidays. Leaving tonight actually (Read Bull$hit)
Robin H: [9:25:54 AM] ohh ok
[9:26:42 AM] I will have our shipping guy make the change. Once the order is done, you'll need to check the site for the pickup ticket to go get the job, ok?
Andy (Zwicker P..: [9:27:06 AM] No prob. Will my credit card be refunded the $22.13
Robin H: [9:27:29 AM] we'll refund the next day shipping charge, yes
Andy (Zwicker P..: [9:27:54 AM] ok. Thanks
Robin H: [9:28:22 AM] you're welcome, is there anything else I can help you with Andy?

Zoo printing

Zoo printing

FYI, be careful with zoo printing and your clients. a few people have informed me that they go direct to your clients with direct mailers, and sometimes personal calls!!!!!

I owned an internet printing company. I wish I had been so bold as to keep my clients from making stupid 11th hour changes. I had some of the best customer service I could muster and look where it got me.

FYI, be careful with zoo printing and your clients. a few people have informed me that they go direct to your clients with direct mailers, and sometimes personal calls!!!!!

Why would any printer or print broker send work to any so-called trade printer that advertises for work other than advertising in a 100% real printing trade magazine?

I have seen both Zoo and 4over advertisements in Adobe Photoshop magazines + other consumer magazines at Barnes & Nobles and Borders Bookstores.

There are plenty of 100% trade printers out there.
Pick up a copy of American Printer Mag., or Printing Impressions. Those are real trade magazines.
I found several good 100% trade printers on the back pages.
Some also negotiate pricing, offer quick turnaround, excellent customer service, custom jobs, etc..

Prices could be cheap for a reason...think about it!!

Do any of these mentioned (trade) printers give anything in writing that they will not solicit submitted jobs from print brokers or other printers???

Last edited:
I got an interesting email from partnerprinting.com and they are just the opposite. They don't even put their own name on their building and encourage dealers to use the facility as theirs, their name, etc.

I use 4Over almost daily. I do worry a litte about what they may become in the future, but right now, NO ONE gives me a better price, faster turn and delivery. Partner Printing might be great but my customers will not wait 4 days for shipping.

Interesting. Didn't realize there was such a timing difference. How do you handle the complaint that their product mix is not the sizes or specs that an earlier post was concerned with and what do you tell your clients about the 4over branding. Not a troll, I promise just trying to understand so I can use them. Price and speed certainly trumps slow, spendy blind site. Thanks... John

That statement that they put their logo on their boxes is erroneous. There is a little symbol on the box, but it is undecernable and no one has ever even mentioned it to me. I am on the East Coast so I need fast ship times. 4Over provides that. Their customer service is not all that great, but if you provide competent pre-press there is little that can go wrong.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back