6x9 env

TLawrence

I am running 6x9 envelopes, with flap up and leading. Any special way to run these with the flap up first? using printmaster qm-46

Open the flap. Flip the envelope over and print on the front of the envelope and on the flap at the same time. Then fold the flaps back over. It goes a lot quicker than it sounds if you do it right.

Run them landscape, grip from 9" side, don't need to open the flaps, will run fine. May need to center the edge of flap, where it meets the envelope, underneath a pick-up sucker so it sucks up the flap and envelope together. Don't know how much gripper is needed so may need to rotate art 180.

Run them landscape, grip from 9" side, don't need to open the flaps, will run fine. May need to center the edge of flap, where it meets the envelope, underneath a pick-up sucker so it sucks up the flap and envelope together. Don't know how much gripper is needed so may need to rotate art 180.

There's always more than one way to do things. We open them to be able to run both sides at once since most of our 6x9 runs are short. It also makes running them a no-brainer for someone that sounds like a beginner which is why I suggested it to the OP.

If operator is referring to "return stamp" as the indicia, then he will most likely be printing on the body of the envelope as well as the flap on that side. Like the return address? Which seems pretty weird, but hey! I've received some crazy stuff in the mail before... If only the flap prints and it's a short run (under 1000) then I agree with the un-flapping and reflapping which makes it 1 pass and 1 plate which trumps the extra labor. A view of art, along with run length would be the deciding factor pretty much. Yes, many ways to skin the wabbit!

I will take a picture of what I am printing. and post it later tonight. This job is killing me. jam after jam. Running 10k then front side. so 20k run.

IMG_20150113_150732_131.jpg here is what I am running

Wow. You might want to tell your customer that they're printing that on the wrong side of the envelope. :)

With a run that size you're best option is to do as Erik suggested and run them landscape. If you're not able to for some reason.....then open the darn things and get it over with. It sounds like you're saying they have to be printed on the other side anyway so it won't cost you any impressions....just time to open and close.

Just for the record....I'm not sure the post office is going to like those......

Last edited:
Yep! Another fun project! Mailer side landscape and front side I'd still run portrait (normal) just because it will run better. For a confidence builder you can throw in a stack and just run some blank ones through to see how they feed, before re-plating the job- but I'm confident they'll work for you. Post Office shouldn't whine as it looks like everything is clear of their scanner and the flaps get glued down nice and flat. I feel your grief, but it will all be over soon! :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back