A.B.Dick 360 Feed Table FROZEN!!

tanksalot

Please help!

I'm fairly technical, and have been maintaining my 360 myself for years. Recently, the feed table wouldn't automatically rise, so I adjusted it by loosening two phillips screws near the table raise/don't raise control. Everything worked fine until today when I left the press running and the feed table rose until it was jammed solid. NOTHING I do after opening the covers loosens the table. It feels like it's epoxied into place (it's not). Any ideas on where to look and what to take apart?

Thanks in advance
Tanksalot

Tanksalot,
The table came up past the limit on the side of the table. Take of the side cover for the main press and the little feeder cover on the opside. There are 2 gears one on the feed table crank and one to left. There is also a small pawl that ratchets the table up, make sure THAT is NOT locked against the ratchet gear. If it is gently lift it up and turn your hand wheel until the ratchet is towards the delivery.
You than should be able to jiggle the table down by using the crank. Make sure the followers on the table are in the channels.

Good Luck,
OG

Office Guy:

I'm home and not at work, but from memory I'm 99% sure that both gears are loose. The pawl is NOT engaged and the gear to the left is loose. The tension seems to be one layer in, in the inner gear assembly or in the table mechanism someplace. I'll re-post after I print out your reply and double-check my memory by checking the press out again. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Tanksalot

Stan F.

Both gears on the operator's side are totally loose. Pawl moves up/down freely. The problem is deeper, either in the gears or chain. The gears deeper within the press are locked up solid. Where to look/disassemble?? Thanks in advance!

Tanks,
The table is binding. Look at it carefully and determine where the bind is. Is the table slightly crooked? It must be wedged against something.
You can loosen the op side table guide to get a little more free space. There are just 2 bolts inside.
This is just a straight shaft with 2 sprockets for the chains and a gear on the op side. Maybe the chain guides are bent against the chains or the chains are bunched up. It is hard to diagnose a problem in a forum LOL.
Look at a parts book and you will see how simple the parts work together. Use the KISS method.
OG

OG:

I got it!! By lifting the table and moving a "lever" (some sliding something within the table lift mechanism, "within" the table gear-lift matrix) the table "let go". My memory is HORRIBLE, so if it happens again I'll know where to jiggle things, but I can't be any clearer than that. This happened after I adjusted the table lift adjustment because the table wouldn't rise at all. I must have adjusted it too far, and will re-adjust it in the near-future.

Thanks for the support. Having the table feel like it's epoxied in place and having no idea of what to do is..........scary. I got lucky. I could have ended up spending 5 hours disassembling the thing, losing parts or forgetting how to reassemble the works. The worst part is having no idea why or how this actually happened.

Thanks again!
Tanksalot

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back