AB dick 360 registration?

There's an old saying in the unofficial printer's dictionary, it's called 'chasing registration'. I like to think it was coined by an AB Dick operator.
The saying predates AB Dicks, we used to chase registration on Heidelberg Platens, especially when running "off lays"

As i remember it AB Dicks didn't have the moving parts to truly register. Wasn't the side to side registration only as good as you jogged the sheets before loading the feeder? With that said my answer would be step up to a real press with a side guide if you need anything within a couple of MMs of consistent registration.

Hi, I'm a newbie here. Interesting reading. Hope everyone is safe from the virus. I'm working on our old ab dick 360, it will be 49 years old this year bought new. This is a print I did yesterday on it of 1000 sheets. It was just two colours and ran using laser plates. I was curious to see what it could do. Registration took some adjustment with making sure paper was cut square and impression was just enough and I ran at the lowest speed. I would like to hear your feedback, dont be too harsh, I'm learning this press and offset printing with avg 4 months experience actually operating the press.
Screenshot_20200509-221932_Photos.jpg

You're doing well to get any decent registration using laser plates. While you can get away with it on a logo like this where the absence of trapping can appear to be a design feature and the black overprints where possible, you won't succeed on more critical fit jobs.
Most printers would have laid the black down first as a key before printing the red.

You're doing well to get any decent registration using laser plates. While you can get away with it on a logo like this where the absence of trapping can appear to be a design feature and the black overprints where possible, you won't succeed on more critical fit jobs.
Most printers would have laid the black down first as a key before printing the red.
Thanks for your advice on the colour sequence. I did this to help out a friend. I usually print line work and mostly black jobs. I'll note that for the future. Thanks again and be safe.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back