AccurioPress... Is it fine getting second hand used?

K

kalxn

Hi, I was wondering if it's okay to buy things, don't know if I'm allowed to tell it here, remove if not allowed, in Alibaba website, where remanufactured machines exist from China, can be sold worldwide? Or it's not so nice to do?
Has anyone here bought or experienced importing machine from China? AccurioPress 6000 and AccurioPress 4000 - 3000

Last edited by a moderator:
That depends on the previous owner. The more money (and culture) the owner had, the better the machine's condition. That said, you'd better buy a second-hand machine from a mature market like Europe or the USA. The majority of the machines at those areas are running under Konica's contract, so they can't be in an awful, bad shape. I don't have any info about China, though; the situation might be similar or worse. I wouldn't buy a machine from China without visiting the site and testing the equipment, then keeping a close eye on the transport process.

That depends on the previous owner. The more money (and culture) the owner had, the better the machine's condition. That said, you'd better buy a second-hand machine from a mature market like Europe or the USA. The majority of the machines at those areas are running under Konica's contract, so they can't be in an awful, bad shape. I don't have any info about China, though; the situation might be similar or worse. I wouldn't buy a machine from China without visiting the site and testing the equipment, then keeping a close eye on the transport process.
That's is actually my plan, to visit the store itself, that remanufactures or sell used one.

Read this and this before you do anything.
Thank you for your knowledge, and giving it freely to us newbies. I am now finally connected to the actual supplier of Brand New Konica Minolta in the Philippines, and will be assisted with all the quotations I need. They are indicated in the official Konica Minolta WorldWide site as Philippine's official and legit distributor.

Thank You sir Ynot.

I will be seeing their showroom in the Philippines to see the actual machine. Running live, and me able to test them first.

I will be seeing their showroom in the Philippines to see the actual machine. Running live, and me able to test them first.
That all sounds good.

Just a few off-topic business related thoughts...
  • on another thread, you mentioned you were writing a book which you want to publish, print and sell. Are you setting up a commercial print business separate to your own book production plans, or looking to buy equipment just to print your book?
  • If you'll be setting up a print business, then all good, so long as you have a sound business plan, with budget for premises, finishing equipment, etc. There is some mandatory finishing equipment you'll need from the outset (guillotine, folder, binding capabilities) and other equipment that can come later and depend on the work you are doing (creaser/perf, laminator, drill, booklet maker, tab cutter, die cutter, etc.)
  • When you go for any machine demo, take your own substrates and your own artwork files (you may have to email your files in advance of the demo, in my experience KM won't let you rock up with a USB stick for obvious reasons.) Run a good amount of samples, check for consistency.
Good luck!

That all sounds good.

Just a few off-topic business related thoughts...
  • on another thread, you mentioned you were writing a book which you want to publish, print and sell. Are you setting up a commercial print business separate to your own book production plans, or looking to buy equipment just to print your book?
  • If you'll be setting up a print business, then all good, so long as you have a sound business plan, with budget for premises, finishing equipment, etc. There is some mandatory finishing equipment you'll need from the outset (guillotine, folder, binding capabilities) and other equipment that can come later and depend on the work you are doing (creaser/perf, laminator, drill, booklet maker, tab cutter, die cutter, etc.)
  • When you go for any machine demo, take your own substrates and your own artwork files (you may have to email your files in advance of the demo, in my experience KM won't let you rock up with a USB stick for obvious reasons.) Run a good amount of samples, check for consistency.
Good luck!
Just to print my own book. That's why I'm deciding to buy just used one. But I'm also planning to take some jobs if needed, if the machine is Idle.

I do have a business plan, but not much into catering other customers but myself. I do have the perfect binder already chosen, the laminator, the paper cutter, and paper or book three knives trimmer. The main focus really is for the entire machine needed to print a book should be bought altogether.

Thank you, I will do make sure that I'm running the exact samples I need when printing book pages, and covers.

And also, thank God, that I have a property which is 17 hectares, that we are currently selling to some developers of land, and I will get my fund from that and purchase all needed equipment for printing a book, until I have earned a lot, and will jump to offset.

Also, I had been writing my book for more than ten years, and all things are planned for that same years. I even studied all things I need, from marketing, publishing, advertising, and the actual book printing and binding and distributing itself.

I really do want to have a publishing house of my own.

Just to print my own book. That's why I'm deciding to buy just used one. But I'm also planning to take some jobs if needed, if the machine is Idle.

I do have a business plan, but not much into catering other customers but myself. I do have the perfect binder already chosen, the laminator, the paper cutter, and paper or book three knives trimmer. The main focus really is for the entire machine needed to print a book should be bought altogether.

Thank you, I will do make sure that I'm running the exact samples I need when printing book pages, and covers.

And also, thank God, that I have a property which is 17 hectares, that we are currently selling to some developers of land, and I will get my fund from that and purchase all needed equipment for printing a book, until I have earned a lot, and will jump to offset.

Also, I had been writing my book for more than ten years, and all things are planned for that same years. I even studied all things I need, from marketing, publishing, advertising, and the actual book printing and binding and distributing itself.

I really do want to have a publishing house of my own.
This appears to be an awful lot of investment to just print your own book, most authors (and publishers) contract the production of physical books to printers who have the equipment, trade qualified operators and expertise to produce the books.
There is a lot more to printing and finishing than just purchasing the equipment, which is why those of us who have been in the trade for many years completed a 4 year apprenticeship and are still learning as the trade changes and adopts new technologies.

This appears to be an awful lot of investment to just print your own book, most authors (and publishers) contract the production of physical books to printers who have the equipment, trade qualified operators and expertise to produce the books.
There is a lot more to printing and finishing than just purchasing the equipment, which is why those of us who have been in the trade for many years completed a 4 year apprenticeship and are still learning as the trade changes and adopts new technologies.
I know right, weird me wanting to have my own publishing house. Not just my own book, but to cater soon other independent author's book. But will have a trial on my own book first. That's why I will purchase digital printer first, before I buy offset when I am going to publish other authors.

My plan is to test and understand the machines, before I start hiring other people.

I know right, weird me wanting to have my own publishing house. Not just my own book, but to cater soon other independent author's book. But will have a trial on my own book first. That's why I will purchase digital printer first, before I buy offset when I am going to publish other authors.

My plan is to test and understand the machines, before I start hiring other people.
You appear confused as to the functions of an author, publishing house and printing company. You also don't seem to understand the logistics - supply chain & distribution (route to market), etc. One man (or woman) can't be all of these!

If I were you, I would concentrate on doing the hardest bit, which few of us on here could do, i.e. being an author and writing your book. I guess as an unknown, it is difficult to get a publisher on board from the outset, although as you are non-fiction, provided you're an expert in the field you are writing, you may get lucky. In your shoes, without a publisher, I'd get a local printer to make an initial run of 500 books, and use these as promo copies to send to publishers, media reviewers/bloggers and try to sell a few online. See if the idea has legs and can gain some momentum.

I wouldn't worry or care how the local printer produced the books, nor about the equipment they were produced on, just that they looked nice. The investment would be minimal. If it took off, the calls would start coming in from established publishers with the existing infrastructure to arrange print and manage distribution. Also bear in mind if this works for you, a considerable percentage of sales would likely be through Amazon, who operate their own print on demand facilities.

You appear confused as to the functions of an author, publishing house and printing company. You also don't seem to understand the logistics - supply chain & distribution (route to market), etc. One man (or woman) can't be all of these!

If I were you, I would concentrate on doing the hardest bit, which few of us on here could do, i.e. being an author and writing your book. I guess as an unknown, it is difficult to get a publisher on board from the outset, although as you are non-fiction, provided you're an expert in the field you are writing, you may get lucky. In your shoes, without a publisher, I'd get a local printer to make an initial run of 500 books, and use these as promo copies to send to publishers, media reviewers/bloggers and try to sell a few online. See if the idea has legs and can gain some momentum.

I wouldn't worry or care how the local printer produced the books, nor about the equipment they were produced on, just that they looked nice. The investment would be minimal. If it took off, the calls would start coming in from established publishers with the existing infrastructure to arrange print and manage distribution. Also bear in mind if this works for you, a considerable percentage of sales would likely be through Amazon, who operate their own print on demand facilities.

Thank You Ynot_UK, for your insight. Definitely not confused at all, to what is the function of an author, a publishing house, and a printing company. I'm just testing of how an independent author can print on demand a book, and send them and ship each book.

Facebook creator did risked, and won. As long as you understand all the functions and how to do them.

I'm already near finishing the book, that's why I was in full focus for more than ten years, and now that I'm ready to print, I started canvassing printers. And to see how they will work out. I have ordered in Alibaba.com already three-knife trimmers for book. I have called in India for they have that nice thick book binding machine. I also have the laminator for book cover. I have contacted people already, that manufacture papers here in the Philippines that own papermills. And many other things needed, that I can't list extensively.

I'm just very enthusiastic to be part of the process of printing the book as well. I'm very inspired by people like you who do the printing works.

I have studied Heidelberg Offset and what needed, and everything, including changing the plates.

I'm planning to register myself as a publisher, and register as well as an author.

This is what we call HYBRID, you are an independent author, but you as well uses a traditional publishing method.

I have planned all marketing needed, advertising, scouted all possible places where I can advertise.

Not planning yet to distribute on bookstores, just for individual purchases, as I'm trying out. And by the way, down below is the sketch I made on Autocad, where I plan to put my machines.

newpic.jpg

The greatest thing about the forum here is, our posts can't be deleted, imagine, I can log all my progress, and where I will then be after each month, and then year.

I extremely appreciate your kind effort, time to explain and educate me, You sir Ynot, and Magnus. But as I said, I read multiple books about Publishing, and Becoming a Publishing House, versus a Printing Company, and Being an Author is what I had been many years ago, so nothing to study about that. I did study about distribution process. And what I'm doing is a test, if it's possible, If it's not, then my prepared expenses that I only allow myself to use is very much watched. If I went pass my limit, I will then, fallback, and see how can I earn from the machines I bought, and take other jobs. Not just my book, but offer them to other authors in a low price for me to print their physical book.

Also, by the way, I'm not, or never ignoring Sir Ynot and Sir Magnus' concern, I have foreseen that. But I like to see how things will go, if dreams can be possible, if not, then fallback, of trying to use the machine for other things, and trying to get profit from it.

Believe me sir Ynot and Sir Magnus, I appreciate your concern, and time to type things for me. I save them in my notepad, to always watch for those things you see may go faulty along the way. Thank You sir. Thank You. I extremely appreciate your words.
When I fail in the near future, please prepare and ready the laughing emoticon, with words, "I told you." Hahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm lost for words. Apart from noting your building will need some fire doors to satisfy your country's requirements, a goods in/out and you'll find double width internal doors much more useful. Good luck.

I'm lost for words. Apart from noting your building will need some fire doors to satisfy your country's requirements, a goods in/out and you'll find double width internal doors much more useful. Good luck.
Thank You, it's not yet done, it's just a draft of it. Fire exit, the heater for where the papers will be stored, so the humidity won't be that high, wetting the paper. And of course, fire exits are extremely important. My front door will have two, or double door, to accommodate big machines.

I hope someday, to be using the machine, like all of you guys are very good at. It's very satisfying to watch people print something and work with the parts inside, self service as they say. Thank You YNOT_UK, your knowledge is very helpful to me.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back