Acrobat DC - PAINfully SLOW!

kaiserwilhelm

I am on a MacPro with 32 gig of ram and SSD drives.
Latest Sierra
I produce digital PDFs all day long that are roughly 300-500 pages and around 50 megs each.
Viewing these has been a PAIN for over 18 months now.
Does not matter if I do a clean install of El Capitan / Sierra / C-64 load *8 / whatever (that was a plug for the geek. in all of us)
I have reinstalled Acrobat numerous times.

WHAT is wrong with ths program? Is there a setting that I can change?
I can view P1, but then trying to view P2 gets the spinning wheel o death. Over and over and over

Are you using Acrobat DC 2015 or Acrobat DC 2017? Has it been doing this since Acrobat DC was originally released or did it just start around the middle of April? If you are like me you are probably on the Acrobat "Continuous" update cycle, which I did not know or ask to be put on the continuous cycle, which installs silent updates that you know nothing about. I just found out today I have had Acrobat DC 2017 since April 11 which is precisely when Pitstop quit working:

https://www.enfocus.com/en/support/...!/SupportPortalSolution?id=50157000000jxAdAAI

Any plug-ins installed?

Number of fonts installed? Any font managers?

Dov! Long time no hear! Universal Type Sever 6.1.2 (The latest client). Standard fonts in System Library Fonts. Everything else controlled via UTS. Only plugin is Pitstop. Not active when first opened though

Are you using Acrobat DC 2015 or Acrobat DC 2017? Has it been doing this since Acrobat DC was originally released or did it just start around the middle of April? If you are like me you are probably on the Acrobat "Continuous" update cycle, which I did not know or ask to be put on the continuous cycle, which installs silent updates that you know nothing about. I just found out today I have had Acrobat DC 2017 since April 11 which is precisely when Pitstop quit working:

https://www.enfocus.com/en/support/...!/SupportPortalSolution?id=50157000000jxAdAAI

Yes, 2017. This has gone on for over 18 months. Happens on ALL of our Macs. Even if we take the PDF to the SSD drive desktop vs the server.

Is it only the PDF's that you create or does it do it with PDF's suppled by someone else and what kind of content is on those pages? We deal with a lot of PDF's that have hundreds of pages and get a lot larger than 50 megs and we aren't seeing that issue on lesser hardware than what you list.

Dov! Long time no hear! Universal Type Sever 6.1.2 (The latest client). Standard fonts in System Library Fonts. Everything else controlled via UTS. Only plugin is Pitstop. Not active when first opened though

Quite frankly, I haven't seen this type of symptom, at least not yet.

That having been said and based on some other issues that our customers have had recently with other Adobe applications in terms of performance and some crashes, I would like you to check something and possibly make a slight change in your Acrobat preferences.

Recent MacOS 10.12.x releases have had “issues” with their video/GPU drivers. Turning off GPU acceleration in InDesign and Illustrator has resolved some issues. Please check your Acrobat Preferences for Page Display. If there are any options for 2D graphics acceleration enabled, please disable (i.e., remove check) from that option. Save the preferences. Restart Acrobat. Is performance any better than previously with those files that were viewing so slowly?

- Dov

This is a total shot in the dark but in addition to what Dov said, if you remove fonts that Adobe installers have installed, try restoring those fonts. I learned with Illustrator that removing Verdana and Tahoma caused later versions of Illustrator to be painfully slow.

Cheers,
pd

This is a total shot in the dark but in addition to what Dov said, if you remove fonts that Adobe installers have installed, try restoring those fonts. I learned with Illustrator that removing Verdana and Tahoma caused later versions of Illustrator to be painfully slow.

Cheers,
pd
Actually, Illustrator does not install either Verdana or Tahoma. Those are “system fonts” provided by Microsoft. Current versions of Adobe applications install fonts either in their own font directory or within the applications themselves as resources. FWIW! ;)

- Dov

All Good suggestions, Fonts are the number 1 drag with automatic updates coming second.Turn off the updates and manually download them once a month or weekly if that works for you. One other suggestion is to clear your temp and recover files, not just adobe but system as well.

In addition to what Goldy suggested regarding the removal of temp files, (again total shot in the dark) but go to ~/Library/Caches and try MOVING all files/folders within the Caches folder to a folder on the desktop and reboot. Sometimes a corrupted or otherwise faulty cache file can lead to slowness or other undesirable behavior.

Cheers,
pd

Quite frankly, I haven't seen this type of symptom, at least not yet.

That having been said and based on some other issues that our customers have had recently with other Adobe applications in terms of performance and some crashes, I would like you to check something and possibly make a slight change in your Acrobat preferences.

Recent MacOS 10.12.x releases have had “issues” with their video/GPU drivers. Turning off GPU acceleration in InDesign and Illustrator has resolved some issues. Please check your Acrobat Preferences for Page Display. If there are any options for 2D graphics acceleration enabled, please disable (i.e., remove check) from that option. Save the preferences. Restart Acrobat. Is performance any better than previously with those files that were viewing so slowly?

- Dov

Dov. Could I send you the PDF? 46.3 meg. 250 pages. Created out of GMC Inspire. I would simply do a wetransfer.com if I had your email address.

I'm having the same sort of problem --- up-to-date Adobe Acrobat DC, 11,420 PDFs which need to be converted into TIFs --- it's averaging 9 per minute --- I really need this done now, not late this afternoon (I started yesterday and the machine has been running overnight.

WillAdams, have you tried using ghostscript or imagemagick convert? Results can be hard to match to what Acrobat creates, but sometimes it's quite a bit faster depending on the PDF.

Back to kaiserwilhelm's issue. GMC Inspire creates PDFs with an AllAndNone font that has all of the glyphs used by all of the fonts from the design stage. I've noticed it sometimes just acts weird. But, barring that from being the actual problem, try copying the PDF to your desktop, and disconnecting your mac from the network. The CC suite makes lots of calls home, and sometimes just disabling internet access will speed it up considerably. If it does work you could try using something like little snitch to selectively disable access when needed.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back