Acrobat-Pitstop Toolbar keeps loosing my toolset but adding its own tools.

CruzinCooler

I have the latest Adobe Acrobat 2022.003.20281 and the latest Pitstop Pro 22 update1 installed on at least 9 users computers running Mac OS 11.7.1. Can't upgrade the OS because of other legacy apps. Most have experienced loosing their toolbar set after restarting both the application and/or restarting their Macs. As of yesterday I noticed my "home computer" toolset adding the same 12 tools that I have to keep deleting because I don't use or want them in my set. And the usual "fix" of having to reinstall Acrobat and Pitstop is annoying to say the least. Plus it seems to work for a week or so. Anyone else experiencing these issues? My "work" computer retains my Quick Tool set as of now so I'm guessing it's random.

I've been having this issue for over a year now. My guess is when Acrobat fails to "phone home" even if only briefly my pitstop tools go away because they're plugins.

I am running Monterey on new M1 iMac's. I have the same versions of Acrobat and Pitstop you have and am not experiencing the issue you describe. Here are a couple things to try:

1. Set your Acrobat preferences the way you want them and close Acrobat.
2. Navigate to ~\Library\Preferences\ and COPY com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist to the desktop.
3. Navigate to ~\Library\ and MOVE the Caches folder to the desktop.
4. Reboot.
5. Launch Acrobat and see if your Acrobat preferences have bit the dust again. If not, I suspect that something in the Caches folder is the culprit.
6. If they still bit the dust, close Acrobat, COPY the Acrobat preference file from your desktop to the preferences folder mentioned in #2 above, and reopen Acrobat. You...should...be good now (at least until you reboot) although this doesn't yield the culprit.

Something else to try if after all the above didn't work would be to trash the preference file mentioned in #2 above and rebuild the preferences from scratch.

Do you have any scripts or other automation like a scheduled task that might be resetting something?

Best regards,
pd :)

I am running Monterey on new M1 iMac's. I have the same versions of Acrobat and Pitstop you have and am not experiencing the issue you describe. Here are a couple things to try:

1. Set your Acrobat preferences the way you want them and close Acrobat.
2. Navigate to ~\Library\Preferences\ and COPY com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist to the desktop.
3. Navigate to ~\Library\ and MOVE the Caches folder to the desktop.
4. Reboot.
5. Launch Acrobat and see if your Acrobat preferences have bit the dust again. If not, I suspect that something in the Caches folder is the culprit.
6. If they still bit the dust, close Acrobat, COPY the Acrobat preference file from your desktop to the preferences folder mentioned in #2 above, and reopen Acrobat. You...should...be good now (at least until you reboot) although this doesn't yield the culprit.

Something else to try if after all the above didn't work would be to trash the preference file mentioned in #2 above and rebuild the preferences from scratch.

Do you have any scripts or other automation like a scheduled task that might be resetting something?

Best regards,
pd :)
Thanks prepressdork. I've done pretty much what you've mentioned and I'm thinking you maybe on the right path as far as scripts are concerned. We've added custom made scripts. Java and Sequences, picked up from an older version of Acrobat. So my next thing is to remove them and see what happens. Unfortunately we need those scripts on a daily basis.

Thanks prepressdork. I've done pretty much what you've mentioned and I'm thinking you maybe on the right path as far as scripts are concerned. We've added custom made scripts. Java and Sequences, picked up from an older version of Acrobat. So my next thing is to remove them and see what happens. Unfortunately we need those scripts on a daily basis.
What do said scripts do if I may ask?

What do said scripts do if I may ask?
Well we have quite a few. Going the Acrobat > File > Script route. These scripts direct the open PDF to various Pitstop server hot folders while coping files over to a repository library for future reprints. We use another one to add geometry to cover spreads and it adds metadata to the impo file before being routed to various presses while adding barcodes and head trims depending again on which press we're sending them to. We have at least 10 of those which I believe are written in javascript. We have the Pitstop plug-In and Kodak Tools, Kodak Geometry Editor, Prinergy Merge and Kodak Plate builder. Another possible issue is we use a fewer older sequences ( .sequ) files for Action Lists. When importing, a message did come up saying something about them being older than the version installed.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm thinking the phone home thing may be the culprit too.
I've had times when one CC app is doing some heavy lifting and I go to open another app and... I get the "Your License Isn't Valid" popup. Then I lose a bunch of my workspace customization. It's not so bad with Indesign because I have a saved workspace that I can reload. that's not an option with Acrobat I've used to have a bunch of Pitstop tools in the side menu but, after the menu reset a few times I gave up.

Unfortunately the issues persists after trying these suggestions. I guess a re-install is next.

Before you reinstall, try this:

1. Create a new Mac user account on your Mac.
2. Logout of your current ADOBE account.
3. Logout of the current Mac user account and login as the newly created Mac user account.
4. Login to your ADOBE account.
5. Launch Acrobat and set your preferences the way you want them.
6. Close Acrobat and reboot your Mac.
7. Login to the new Mac user account and launch Acrobat.

Did the preferences bite the dust again? If not, there is something going on within the original user account. If they did, I got nothing.

Best regards,
pd

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back