Adjusting to different output on new paper type

Haystack

I have a sizable library of images that I've proofed on Epson matte/fine art media, using the default profiles. Generally, these run dark so my adjustments tend toward lifting shadows and amping up highlights.

I'm trying a new paper by Red River. Their profile yields prints that are substantially (+12 or so) brighter (which is actually a lot closer to what I see on screen). If I want to switch media, what is the best way to proceed? How does one generally deal with changes in equipment and media that effect print output?

One generally profiles the monitor (perhaps calibrating too). Then one also profiles the output on the new media. Finally a softproof can be made to preview the print output and potentially make any device/condition specific edits while viewing the softproof (of course, working on a copy of the image or using adjustment layers or a parametric image rendering/editing package etc).

Edit: Do you mean that you wish to convert your images from their source space such as sRGB, then to the Epson device condition and finally to the 3rd party media device condition? If so, it would depend on the quality of both the source profile and the destination profile on how successful the conversion would be. I am presuming that you are using the Epson print driver and not a RIP? When printing with the Epson driver, do you use the ICC option or just the built in colour controls?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
One generally profiles the monitor (perhaps calibrating too). Then one also profiles the output on the new media. Finally a softproof can be made to preview the print output and potentially make any device/condition specific edits while viewing the softproof (of course, working on a copy of the image or using adjustment layers or a parametric image rendering/editing package etc).

Edit: Do you mean that you wish to convert your images from their source space such as sRGB, then to the Epson device condition and finally to the 3rd party media device condition? If so, it would depend on the quality of both the source profile and the destination profile on how successful the conversion would be. I am presuming that you are using the Epson print driver and not a RIP? When printing with the Epson driver, do you use the ICC option or just the built in colour controls?

Stephen Marsh

I don't have a custom profile for my printer; I'm using Epson's default, which tends to run dark for me. When I print from the driver I'm selecting "Photoshop Manages Colors" and the Epson profile for the paper.

When I proof I'm adding adjustment layers that tend to brighten the onscreen image, but yield balanced values on the print. The same images on RR come out too bright. What do I need to do to get the same output on both? Customize the profiles?

Last edited:
When making evaluations on the monitor, it all comes down to how good your monitor profile is, how good the preview portion of the output profile is and your viewing conditions. Photoshop uses the ICC profile set in the operating system to display the image. Photoshop uses the output profile for the destination of the softproof preview.

If you have an ICC profile for the RR paper/resolution/ink that you use, then install this on your computer. In Photoshop, use the softproof feature and convert from your working/editing space such as sRGB or Adobe RGB and use the RR profile as the destination, perhaps also using the paper white and black ink rendering options.

You will need to have a print next to the monitor using the current setup, to evaluate how close the softproof is performing compared to your actual printout. Once you have the right combination of settings that generally provide a good preview of the output, you can then make adjustment layer or other non-destructive layer based edits to account for the print process and the final intended rendering.

Stephen Marsh

When making evaluations on the monitor, it all comes down to how good your monitor profile is, how good the preview portion of the output profile is and your viewing conditions. Photoshop uses the ICC profile set in the operating system to display the image. Photoshop uses the output profile for the destination of the softproof preview.

If you have an ICC profile for the RR paper/resolution/ink that you use, then install this on your computer. In Photoshop, use the softproof feature and convert from your working/editing space such as sRGB or Adobe RGB and use the RR profile as the destination, perhaps also using the paper white and black ink rendering options.

You will need to have a print next to the monitor using the current setup, to evaluate how close the softproof is performing compared to your actual printout. Once you have the right combination of settings that generally provide a good preview of the output, you can then make adjustment layer or other non-destructive layer based edits to account for the print process and the final intended rendering.

Stephen Marsh

Thanks. I'll continue working with it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back