Adobe Acrobat 8 hangs

syco1us

Hi everyone,

I am in IT for a printing company. I am not familiar with Acrobat or Pitstop just loading them. We are using Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard version 8.1.0 and Enfocus Pitstop Professional version 7.1. After loading Acrobat 8 I am able to open a web based app to view reports. After loading Pitstop 7 I can not view the reports, and Acrobat hangs. I have tried to uninstall both apps and reinstall and still nothing. I am using IE 7, and Firefox. When I try to open the report is will say done but show nothing with pop up blocker turned off on both. With IE 7 and Fire fox closed I will have to go into the Task Manager and end the process of Acrobat.exe before I can open Acrobat. I have tried these steps on a newly loaded system. With XP pro sp3 and all updates done. I am at a loss as to how to get these working I really need some help Please.

Is your copy of Pitstop fully updated? I can't remember the versions associated with 7. I am on version 8 update 5.

Also, are you running lots of fonts on these machines? If so, Acrobat 8 and 9 (and maybe earlier) will hang starting 10-15 seconds after launch and appear to hang for a while as it reads fonts. It can hang like 0.5 to 2 minutes, depending on machine specs and number of fonts loaded.

Is your copy of Pitstop fully updated? I can't remember the versions associated with 7. I am on version 8 update 5.

Also, are you running lots of fonts on these machines? If so, Acrobat 8 and 9 (and maybe earlier) will hang starting 10-15 seconds after launch and appear to hang for a while as it reads fonts. It can hang like 0.5 to 2 minutes, depending on machine specs and number of fonts loaded.

Yes, please update you PitStop Professional 7 version to 7.52. To find the version you need:
Enfocus - Where can I download the installers for older versions of Enfocus Products.

Are you trying to edit the PDF files or is it just for viewing purposes? With editing i suggest you download the files completely before opening with Acrobat and PitStop. For viewing it might be more interesting to download Acrobat Reader, no?

cheers,
Bert

I have already done the update to Pitstop 7 to 7.52. According to Adobe you should not have Reader and Acrobat on the same machine, But I did try that too. What I found to work on that machine was to install Acrobat 6, then Pitstop 7 and the Upgrade to 7.52, then install Acrobat 8 and all is working. Oh it it used for editing. I am loading another machine now and will let you know if this method work on it also. Thank you for the help.

Just so everyone is clear - because I would HATE for misinformation to be spread around...

Adobe Acrobat - ANY VERSION - does _NOT_ look for fonts when it loads.

In fact, the ONLY time that it goes out looking for your fonts is when you do something like "Text Touchup", where it need to find the matching installed font.

IF you are having delays in starting up the application, try removing all 3rd party extensions...

According to Adobe you should not have Reader and Acrobat on the same machine,

I don't know where you read that, but it is SIMPLY NOT TRUE.

Adobe does NOT SUPPORT the installation of multiple versions of Acrobat OR multiple versions of Reader on the same machine.

We FULLY support the installation of a single version of Acrobat and a single version of Reader - even if they aren't matching versions - on the same machine. So having Acrobat 6 and Reader 9, for example, is fully supported.

Adobe Acrobat 8 hangs

Leonard,

A pedantic point to set the record straight...

I can't remeber which version it was but there WAS an issue with an earlier version of Acrobat (6 or 7) which becmae 'unstable' if they both installed. I am predominatly a Mac user so it might have been platfrom specific. I might be getting old and fuzzy but I also remember it being in the "Read me" files. so the advice DID come from Adobe. Having said that I have it is a long time, if ever, since I experineced the predicted problems with having both apps installed (as I always read the "Read Me" files).

Going back to the original problem it sounded like the PDFs were being viewed in a browser (IE7, Firefox). Wouldn't this mean that, if they were large files and didn't have the "optimize for fast web view option" then they will load slowsly as desribed?

mark

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back