adobe cc 2014 update

wonderings

Has anyone done these updates? I just noticed them this morning. Will it over write what i am using now or install as a separate app. I would download and test, but I am not messing up what is working already to test a new update.

benstarr, when you said it "...installs the 2014 versions separately...", did you mean it installed them separately from the CC versions you already had installed???

I can answer... Yes it installs completely separately. As in a new version like CS5 and CS6 you now have CC and CC2014.

Yes, you will have two versions to work from so you can test the new 2014 but go back to CC if you need to get stuff done quickly. Be aware though, I was unable to sync or import my settings from CC to 2014. If someone else knows why that process fails and how to correct it, it would be greatly appreciated.

So, is there some earth-shattering, gotta have it feature that makes the 2014 version indispensable?

Not that I can see so far, but only toyed a tiny bit with photoshop illustrator and indesign. Still using previous version of indesign as my main app.

Nothing much earth-shattering that I've seen. Photoshop seems to have the most changes. It has a few new blur filters; a 'select focus option' and a new package feature since smart objects can now be links. Can't say I'm enthused about the necessity for packaging Photoshop files.

Has Typekit font support in Illustrator and Photoshop. Pen tool should be less twitchy in Illustrator. InDesign swatches can be grouped and tables are easier to edit.

In testing I've been able to open up CC 2014 files in older CC versions of Illustrator and Photoshop, but not with InDesign CC and CC 2014.

The update notes lists "text engine enhancements" with Illustrator so I'm a little leery about type reflow with legacy docs.

Definitely not the updates that we'd have seen in the pre-subscription days.

Here's a few links to the new features summaries.
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html?set=photoshop--whats-new--2014-06
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/whats-new.html?set=indesign--whats-new--2014-06
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html?set=illustrator--whats-new--2014-06

Nothing much earth-shattering that I've seen. Photoshop seems to have the most changes. It has a few new blur filters; a 'select focus option' and a new package feature since smart objects can now be links. Can't say I'm enthused about the necessity for packaging Photoshop files.

Has Typekit font support in Illustrator and Photoshop. Pen tool should be less twitchy in Illustrator. InDesign swatches can be grouped and tables are easier to edit.

In testing I've been able to open up CC 2014 files in older CC versions of Illustrator and Photoshop, but not with InDesign CC and CC 2014.

The update notes lists "text engine enhancements" with Illustrator so I'm a little leery about type reflow with legacy docs.

Definitely not the updates that we'd have seen in the pre-subscription days.

Here's a few links to the new features summaries.
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html?set=photoshop--whats-new--2014-06
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/whats-new.html?set=indesign--whats-new--2014-06
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html?set=illustrator--whats-new--2014-06

I do like the package function for photoshop. Not that I will be using it, but we do get people who come in with photoshop files, no fonts, etc and want us to change things. Now I hate working in photoshop with text, but to many "designers" use it as a page layout program. This will at least make it easier to get everything I need in order to get the job done or set it properly in indesign. Now they will have to have CC to get this and the amateur designers are most likely not paying a monthly fee for photoshop, so I will probably never see this being used by drop ins here.

I like the idea of HAVING a package function in Photoshop. I don't like the idea of NEEDING a package function in Photoshop.

Pretty much for the same reasons you mention.

Most of the users sending Photoshop files as final art don't think of it as a design program, even if they're using it that way. We rarely get any fonts as it stands, adding the need for links to the mix isn't going to help... On the other hand, users that know how to use smart objects are power users and will hopefully understand the concept of packaging links.

Wonder what happens if you place a Photoshop file with links into InDesign and package that. Does it grab the PSD links as well?

You'd think that Adobe would have added a Package feature to Illustrator by now.........

I took a look at the release notes for InDesign 2014. Still no automated fixes for the live preflight feature.

You'd think that Adobe would have added a Package feature to Illustrator by now.........

I took a look at the release notes for InDesign 2014. Still no automated fixes for the live preflight feature.

They did add the Package function to Illustrator. It was in the original Creative Cloud release.

Finally got around to updating from CC to CC 2014 and found something not mentioned, CC 2014 will not install on Macs running older than 10.7 . Haven't found a solution yet but I feel like Apple and Adobe in partnership to force out usage of old software and hardware.

Similar thing happened to me with Adobe CC and Windows Vista. CC and now CC 2014 are only compatible with Win7 and later.

Say I uninstalled the previous version of CC (indesign, illustrator, photoshop) as it was replaced by CC 2014. For some reason, some weird glitch is found making it unusable. Is there anyway to download and install CC (pre 2014)? Or would I be stuck with 2014 till an update fixed anything? This is a hypothetical question. I have always kept backups of installers for every version, now seems like I cannot do that.

Wonderings, you might be able to accomplish this if you have an older version of the Adobe Application Manager (used to install CC apps).

Hey Wonderings, were you moving to a new computer or is this something you did on the same computer? I dont believe it's necessary to uninstall CC prior to installing CC 2014. At least I didnt and I still have CC available to me to run. (Illustrator & PhotoShop are the two programs I'm referring too). Good luck.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back