Adobe Distiller.. i CANNOT find this program!!!

Crazycanook

Hey everyone

I'm trying to find distiller. Now i realize it is in Acrobat.. somewhere. I have downloaded 30000000000 (ok a bit too many) copies of Adobe Acrobat. Every version i could find. But nowhere is distiller. I have searched high and low in all of my folders, and no distiller. I found a site that said search for a file (i can't remember now, but adobedist.exe or acrobatdist.exe or something like that), and nothing.
What am i doing wrong? Do i need to get a specific version of acrobat or something? Does it only come with professional?
I have been slaving for 4 days now before finding this forum, i really hope you guys can help.
thanks in advance

Re: Adobe Distiller.. i CANNOT find this program!!!

Doesn't come it with Standard? Anyway, you have to pay for it.

Ghostscript and Scribus are free!
Thank you open sources gurus

Yeah and if you have a mac, then you have ghostscript already (or maybe it is another unix postscript converter program, but I think it is ghostscript.) You don't have all the Distiller options and RGB is the default, but it gets you a PDF.

If you are referring Mac OS X's ability to convert PS/EPS to PDF, then that is based on a VERY OLD (~1999) version of Adobe Normalizer that Apple licensed from us and hasn't updated since. As you note, it has no UI, no controls, no nothing. They wanted something to help "ease the transition" of old Postscript-based apps to PDF...

Leonard Rosenthol
Adobe Systems

To be fair, you do have some control using a quartz filter, but even that is pretty limited. Is pstopdf just the command line name for adobe normalizer? I do like the fact that you can put pstopdf options into a script. I tried, very unsuccessfully, for some time to figure out how to script the adobe pdf 8 printer, but I could not figure out a way to get the options you get in the print dialog box into a script.

Quartz Filters run on the PDF AFTER it is produced - so all the loss has already happened by that point. You can't undo many things :(.

pstopdf is Ghostscript - and is NOT a standard install for Mac OS X. You must have installed it at some point with some other application. The Apple conversion doesn't have a command line API.

Leonard

> {quote:title=leonardr wrote:}{quote}
> pstopdf is Ghostscript - and is NOT a standard install for Mac OS X. You must have installed it at some point with some other application. The Apple conversion doesn't have a command line API.

Are you sure? The reason I ask is because it is listed on the man page http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/pstopdf.1.html

I think ghostscript is "ps2pdf"

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back