Adobe Photoshop - Workflow Change in Vs. 22.4

chriscozi

There is an Un-Heralded change in the 'File' saving options in the new (22.4) version of Photoshop.
I can confirm this as we are running the previous version on another workstation.

To wit:
We believe all the previous 'Save As . . . ' options which threw up a dialogue box that stated 'You will HAVE TO save this as a copy . . . ' are now in the separate 'File' submenu 'Save a Copy'.
This includes the oft used 'Save as a Photoshop PDF'.
It took several days to figure out where this went.
No notes on their website or in their update notes.
Sigh.
Our client couldn't save a text heavy photoshop file as anything BUT a bitmap option.

Please inform the rest of the villagers - pitchforks and firebrands at 10pm.
👨‍🌾

chriscozi-I just upgraded this morning and saw what you mentioned. If they click on Save a Copy all the old options are there. Also, if you click on the Info button it brings up a dialogue box with a More Info button. This takes you to an Adobe help page explaining all the new options. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html Not sure what took several days? Seems pretty straight-forward ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Photoshop 22.4 upgrade.png

So you heard from me. Easy for you.
But you ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THE CHANGE.
You are welcome - I saved you the effort and time of figuring it out.
As I said - Let the villagers know.

Where was the info from Adobe BEFORE THEY CHANGED THE F****ING MENU OPTIONS or with the Notes in the upgrade ???
I notice you did not mention that because I already checked them and confirmed they weren't there.
So any shade thrown should be at Adobe.
Not me for pointing out their lack of responsibility to inform their users of changes to their software - heaven forbid we should have notice ahead of time, you know, to support OUR customers who use THEIR software.

When was the last time something like this happened in the software universe?
Oh, yeah, Apple got rid of their 'Save as . . .' options several years ago and there was a hullabaloo until they brought it back pretty quickly with an 'Option' key as the necessary workaround.

I personally will LIKE the way they have reorganized the file save process BUT they could save grief by informing the user base.
Did you ever use Quark in the mid 90's?
They did stuff like this all the time.

There is an Un-Heralded change in the 'File' saving options in the new (22.4) version of Photoshop.
I can confirm this as we are running the previous version on another workstation.

To wit:
We believe all the previous 'Save As . . . ' options which threw up a dialogue box that stated 'You will HAVE TO save this as a copy . . . ' are now in the separate 'File' submenu 'Save a Copy'.
This includes the oft used 'Save as a Photoshop PDF'.
It took several days to figure out where this went.
No notes on their website or in their update notes.
Sigh.
Our client couldn't save a text heavy photoshop file as anything BUT a bitmap option.

Please inform the rest of the villagers - pitchforks and firebrands at 10pm.
👨‍🌾

The feature Adobe needs more than anything is a giant boxing glove popping out of the monitor and punching them in the face for creating a text heavy photoshop file.

Photoshop is for editing photos. Right tool for the right job.

The feature Adobe needs more than anything is a giant boxing glove popping out of the monitor and punching them in the face for creating a text heavy photoshop file.

Photoshop is for editing photos. Right tool for the right job.
Agreed.

chriscozi no shade intended. I agree with you that at the very least they could've mentioned it in the release notes...this is Adobe we're talking about though... just upgrade, you'll love it ;-)

Picked up on one more blog with some extended Apple blaming.
Petapixel . . .
Just as an aside on the Adobe blaming Apple -
Adobe says 'the API has been removed.' True that.
It was deprecated YEARS ago by Apple and as I noted they changed their own programs at the same time.
So it's disingenuous to blame Apple for something Adobe has known about.

Interesting... On a slightly unrelated note, I see that lucky Windows users have all the space they want to name their files:

win-save.png

Compare this to the tiny field we have to deal on Mac with - and which became even SMALLER on Big Sur:

mac-save.png

(That's in addition to a few other atrocious UI changes on Big Sur).

Adobe says 'the API has been removed.' True that.
It was deprecated YEARS ago by Apple and as I noted they changed their own programs at the same time.
So it's disingenuous to blame Apple for something Adobe has known about.

In this case, it looks like Adobe blames Apple legitimately.

They refer to a change in the Save dialog that was only introduced by Apple in macOS 10.15, as pointed in the PetaPixel's article you mentioned:

In macOS 10.15, the system always displays the Save dialog in a separate process, regardless of whether the app is sandboxed. When the user saves the document, macOS adds the saved file to the app's sandbox (if necessary) so that the app can write to the file. Prior to macOS 10.15, the system used a separate process only for sandboxed apps.

It's not related to the change on Lion when Apple replaced Save As with Duplicate (and later added at least Save As by adding Option, thankfully). I agree that this change was totally dumb from the start. But it only affected native Cocoa apps - which doesn't include Adobe software.

In this case, it looks like Adobe blames Apple legitimately.

They refer to a change in the Save dialog that was only introduced by Apple in macOS 10.15, as pointed in the PetaPixel's article you mentioned:

In macOS 10.15, the system always displays the Save dialog in a separate process, regardless of whether the app is sandboxed. When the user saves the document, macOS adds the saved file to the app's sandbox (if necessary) so that the app can write to the file. Prior to macOS 10.15, the system used a separate process only for sandboxed apps.

It's not related to the change on Lion when Apple replaced Save As with Duplicate (and later added at least Save As by adding Option, thankfully). I agree that this change was totally dumb from the start. But it only affected native Cocoa apps - which doesn't include Adobe software.
Adobe's complaints about Apple API changes falls on deaf ears here. Do they have a case? Maybe.
Adobe and Apple usually work hand in hand, behind the scenes, on their integration efforts.
Yes the change in Lion was different.
But if Adobe had trumpeted the change (and the charges) BEFORE they rolled it out my reaction would be different.
It ends up being all about expectations.
:)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back