Advice on Basys UV-Setter850

Delvin

Hello

I am from a medium sized printing company printing mostly high quality brochure.

Planning to purchase Basys Uv-setter850. Anyone with experience and knowledge of this CTP. Please give advise of its pros and cons. I understand that its max resolution is 1500dpi,does this indicate it cannot produce high quality plate for printing.

Thanks

1500 res

1500 res

I have Basys 850, I also have Creo Trendsetter 800 II Quantum, when I realize that Basys have 1500 resolution i was skeptic but i test it machine before baying. Quality is the same like on thermal plates with square dot, only limitation is FM screening 25 microns, on Creo i have 20 micron staccato, for some printing shops i expose 200 line/inc without any problem and have good result. Bad thing is that software of machine have lots of bugs and Basys all the time make some updates to fix that. We have no problems with ctp but lot of problems with software.

I understand that its max resolution is 1500dpi,does this indicate it cannot produce high quality plate for printing.

It depends on how you define "quality"
If your concern is about its ability to render a full tone range, these posts may help clarify that there should be no issues as far as that is concerned:

Quality In Print: Halftones and gray levels - part 1 of 2

Quality In Print: Halftones and gray levels - part 2 of 2

FM eliminates the grey levels issue entirely, however it does raise other issues, one of which Bojan_Libra noted - and that is the size of FM dot you could potentially use. 25 micron is fine for web work but somewhat coarse for sheetfed. But if you don't need FM then you should be fine grey level-wise.

best, gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print current topic: The creative/production process - redux

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back