Alternative to Konica c3080

Hello,

I'm coming to the end of my lease with Konica. I was thinking about trying a new brand of printer. I've only used Konica machines. This one has a plockmatic sd-350 connected to it that works sometimes. Sometimes it just refuses to spit the books out. It completes the booklets, but just won't eject it which causes jams. I've also had to make a lot of service calls with Konica, so i'm looking for something in the same ballpark but a bit more reliable with a solid booklet maker. Any suggestions?

Buy from whichever vendor has good service in your area.
Similar machines
Xerox V280
Fuji SC180
Ricoh C5300
Canon V700 or V900

If you have an extra 40k get an offline booklet maker because that will outlast your press and can be fed from multiple presses.

If you're switching because of that booklet maker, you won't be solving the problem. Plockmatic makes that exact same finisher for all of the other vendors. Since it seems that bookletmaking is a major part of your business, I agree with @SoggyWinter that you should get the booklet maker offline for the reasons he described. You already spent ~$40,000 for the one you're about to get rid of.

Plockmatic makes the same unit available in an offline format, and most shops that I've spoken to really like the unit. If you need something more robust, then you should look into the Watkiss PowerSquare, which I believe is now manufactured and sold by Plockmatic/Morgana. Like the Plockmatic 350, it is also available in-line for most of the digital press manufacturers, but they also sell an offline configuration.

Last edited:
If you're switching because of that booklet maker, you won't be solving the problem. Plockmatic makes that exact same finisher for all of the other vendors. Since it seems that bookletmaking is a major part of your business, I agree with @SoggyWinter that you should get the booklet maker offline for the reasons he described. You already spent ~$40,000 for the one you're about to get rid of.

Plockmatic makes the same unit available in an offline format, and most shops that I've spoken to really like the unit. If you need something more robust, then you should look into the Watkiss PowerSquare, which I believe is now manufactured and sold by Plockmatic/Morgana. Like the Plockmatic 350, it is also available in-line for most of the digital press manufacturers, but they also sell an offline configuration.
I'm not getting rid of it because of the booklet maker, but they want $30k at the end of the lease to keep it and I'm not doing that for a machine that has so many issues. I figured I'd take the opportunity to see what's out there that could give me a better experience.

Buy from whichever vendor has good service in your area.
Similar machines
Xerox V280
Fuji SC180
Ricoh C5300
Canon V700 or V900

If you have an extra 40k get an offline booklet maker because that will outlast your press and can be fed from multiple presses.
Thanks, I'll look into an offline unit.

Sometimes I am glad I'm in the UK... When our Konica came to the end of its lease (granted we didn't have the plockmatic booklet finisher) Konica let us keep the press without any extra charge. I couldn't justify paying 30k to keep a machine that's end of lease.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back