Am I an idiot if I do my PPML's by hand?

tobias

As the subject :) I'm currently working as a software engineer for Webprint here in the Netherlands. We have a couple of HP Indigo's (5000 and 7000 series) with the HP Production Pro Print Server RIP environment in front of them. Currently I'm designing (templating) all PPML projects/products by hand for full control of the output document. I wonder if I'm the only one - mainly because I find very very little info/handson/howto's on the web regarding PPML.

I'm having some issues regarding the <REPEAT> statement; yet I cannot find complete handson info / full PPML examples and the PODi PPML spec isn't too helpful/elaborate on the subject too. Is there some Big Book I can get? :)

Thanks,

Tobias

Tobias,
A couple years ago I was responsible for creating a connectivity workflow between some print customers and our HP front end, known at that time as the "Production FLow Server". Through the HP developer network, I was able to obtain an SDK specifically for file format creation. Everything in the HP workflow is XML, it is also JDF compliant with some tweaking. If you contact a Solution Architect at HP, they can probably give you access to the SDK for what you are trying to do here. The SDK that I had a couple years ago (which I am sure has changed by now) explained the xml schemas for developing 3rd party or in house solutions for PPML, JLT, PDF and connecting these output files in a workflow (Apache Tomcat server, automated job ticketing, etc.)

Definitely call HP, they can help you. Allow 4 weeks for the process, you'll have to go through a vetting process to clarify your intentions and sign some non-disclosures which are then reviewed by HP before they release the SDK and documentation to you. ALSO: my experience was with the North America division of HP Graphic Arts, in Europe it could be totally different.

Good luck!

http://jefflazerus.com

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back