Any ideas? (extract images from PDF, run image enhancements, then replace back into PDF)

TradeGraphicDesign

Hi All,

I was hoping someone had some ideas on this front.
I'm pulling down PDF's from a system, and I'd like to extract images from the PDF, to run through some image enhancement software, and then insert them back into the PDF.

Looking for 'cost effective' ways to do this.

There is a great bit of software I used to use many moons ago 'CLARO' which could do this, it was amazing, but I don't have that kind of budget these days.

So, looking for hacks, or tips to do the above

Thanks a million in advance

Tim

If you have acrobat pro, use the touch up object tool, right click on the image and select edit image. This will open into adobe Photoshop. Make your changes, then save and close the image in Photoshop. It will automatically update in Acrobat.

If you have acrobat pro, use the touch up object tool, right click on the image and select edit image. This will open into adobe Photoshop. Make your changes, then save and close the image in Photoshop. It will automatically update in Acrobat.
Thats a great idea! Unfortunately, can't select the image, using that tool in Acrobat Pro, the image is under a mask.
Got me thinking though, I wonder if there is a way to lock a layer in acrobat, to allow the layer underneath to be selected?
Thanks regardless, i'll have a play, see whats possible

all the best

Tim

Hi you could do it entirely with Affinity Publisher.
You open the pdf, you collect embed images into a folder and then run them into an enhancement software (ate the moment, as far as I know, Claro still remain the best one… But if there are better and cheaper one, well, thanks fo the hint!)
Then you can relink everything automatically and export another pdf!
Job done…

Hi you could do it entirely with Affinity Publisher.
You open the pdf, you collect embed images into a folder and then run them into an enhancement software (ate the moment, as far as I know, Claro still remain the best one… But if there are better and cheaper one, well, thanks fo the hint!)
Then you can relink everything automatically and export another pdf!
Job done…
Wow! affinity publisher, I didn't expect that.They have a trial, i'll give that a whirl.
Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.
Just FYI - I'm getting some great results with TOPAZ (For the image enhancement) - Desktop app on the mac, supposedly can be hooked into PS actions too, though, i've not got round to sorting that

Surfing the net I smashed my face on this… Maybe…

Topaz Photo AI is great into upscaling and adding sharpen, but it doesn't work on contrast, white balance and color.

Surfing the net I smashed my face on this… Maybe…

Topaz Photo AI is great into upscaling and adding sharpen, but it doesn't work on contrast, white balance and color.
Amazing! Downloaded the serif trial, not really expecting that to work (no offence) :) - But absolutely amazed that works! Took a little while to figure out how to export just the images, but thats really intuitive - Serif has come a long way!!

Made my week, thanks a bunch. Tim

If you have Command Workstation the "Image Enhance Visual Editor" does this exact thing, all within the fiery. I access it by right clicking on the file I want and selecting it from the menu.

Hi All,

I was hoping someone had some ideas on this front.
I'm pulling down PDF's from a system, and I'd like to extract images from the PDF, to run through some image enhancement software, and then insert them back into the PDF.

Looking for 'cost effective' ways to do this.

There is a great bit of software I used to use many moons ago 'CLARO' which could do this, it was amazing, but I don't have that kind of budget these days.

So, looking for hacks, or tips to do the above

Thanks a million in advance

Tim
Hi Tim, Derek from Claro here (we rebranded to Pixometry late last year). Would love to hear a bit more on what you're looking for and how we can help out.

Hi @TradeGraphicDesign
You also have some image enhancements features in PitStop Pro that you can even automate with PitStop Server for higher volume:
This video is using an old PitStop version but those features are obviously still part of the current 2023 version:
Hope that helps,
Loic

Yes.. BUT, you have to make the association in acrobat first. You can actually associate a number of external programs, and choose which one to open to.

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I've just been going back through some of my posts to update what software I've found fits nicely into my workflow.
SEJDA PDF Desktop Sejda.com - Helps with your PDF tasks, has a brilliant 'extract images' from PDF.
You can extract to a folder, then run whatever enhancements you like, and then re-link

I'm relinking manually in Illustrator, which is a bit of a pain, but this is a super cheap option for making sure your customers artwork prints SPOT ON.

I used to have a system with SWITCH and CLARO, where this all happened automatically, but sadly my pockets aren't anywhere near as deep as they were back then.

SEJDA were thinking about coming up with a way to allow auto updating of the original PDF links, but I imagine thats a tricky thing to manage, i'll update post if this happens.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back