Anyone using a Panther 34p Platesetter?

pressnut

We are thinking about purchasing a used Monotype Panther 34/P Poly-Platesetter. We will be using these plates for our Heidelberg QM-46 2/color common blanket press, as well as our little Ryobi and our AB Dick 360. Yes, that's right, I said an AB Dick 360. Anyway, we tested some sample plates provided by the salesman and we were very pleased with the results. The screens and half-tones looked clean, the solids and knockouts looked sharp and the two colors trapped well. We only ran a few hundred sheets and everything was good. I questioned my consumables vendor about the plate material and he gave me that not so warm and fuzzy feeling about this machine. Does anyone have anything to say (good or bad) about this machine? How about some suggestions for other machines? We want to be in the $15,000 or less range. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

To high price but good unit

To high price but good unit

Having been a semi pro with panther systems I can tell you they are great for what your looking to do. We started with a older IR unit in 96 and then got a newer pantherpro. We are CTP with presstek D 400 now. I would make sure your not getting IR. We run 150-175 line screens.

Big tip use only prisco 2451 fountain solution. You play for months this stuff is the best and just plains works better. You have to buy direct from Prisco so your local guys will try and get you to use some thing just like it, DO NOT trust me.

Some things make sure you get a level 8 or better rip. They are pretty old so you should be paying under $5000 + processors for this. I have one or 2 processors and my local sevice rep has a unit I think for that range. If they are asking for $15,000 they are nuts.

John Henry
[email protected]

Thanks John,
We are not going to pay $15,000 for this unit. That amount is just our limit. I'm not sure if it's an IR unit or not. I will look into that asap. Thanks for your input.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back