Advice from anyone who's used a Xerox 550 please? (alignment help required)

We've stopped trying to manually duplex 300gsm currently, the alignment is never good enough and it just ends up where we have to throw it away & i'm the type to get obsessed over something and do little else which at this stage is not a good plan.

DYP I believe the engineer used his magic settings however he said what we're epecting is at the limits of the machine.

We are now completing jobs successfully now however none of them are on tray 5.

I did get some print from a trade printer in frustraton, i was surprised that our print quality is much better than what they sent us & the paper they used looked like porridge & was very poor quality.

We're supposed to use 5000 clicks a month but we're more like 300 currently....any good ideas how we can use up the clicks we get charged for anyway?

I've been wondering if we could create something generic in order to create some stock for future sale so at least we have something for the clicks but the only thing i can think of are generic birthday cards or something similar.

We're supposed to use 5000 clicks a month but we're more like 300 currently....any good ideas how we can use up the clicks we get charged for anyway?

I've been wondering if we could create something generic in order to create some stock for future sale so at least we have something for the clicks but the only thing i can think of are generic birthday cards or something similar.

Oh no, you leased a printer to do 300 clicks a month? Your missing some 00 there right?

If 300 clicks is the case you need to hit the road and sell printing.

Last edited:
If you are paying for 5000 clicks a month but only doing 300 you should be offering some real cheap prints, flyers, business cards, whatever. Get that volume up. As for the machine, running it at max tolerances will never be good. We had issues with our old J75 running at it max and ended up having to replace it a year later not being satisfied with the machine (whole host of other issues but will not get into that). The problem you are having is you obviously do not want to spend money on a much better machine as your volumes are so low. If you were to splurge for a Versant 80 or 2100 you would find you can do what you are asking with ease, of course that comes with a much higher price tag and you obviously do not have the volume for it.

You do learn what your machine is capable and not capable of and you are learning that right now. If you are designing yourself you can design for the machine, make it more forgiving for 2 sided jobs when it comes to cutting. At that low volume I would be probably be outsourcing to a trade printer, their prices will probably be cheaper as you are paying out for clicks you are not even using right now. Of course you lose control doing this, but you are not laying out a large amount of cash for a better machine to do what you want to do.

We've stopped trying to manually duplex 300gsm currently, the alignment is never good enough and it just ends up where we have to throw it away & i'm the type to get obsessed over something and do little else which at this stage is not a good plan.

DYP I believe the engineer used his magic settings however he said what we're epecting is at the limits of the machine.

We are now completing jobs successfully now however none of them are on tray 5.

I did get some print from a trade printer in frustraton, i was surprised that our print quality is much better than what they sent us & the paper they used looked like porridge & was very poor quality.

Well you could do an EDDM postcard promoting your business with those extra clicks. Or some flyers. Or 2019 calendars (get a headstart?). Letterhead.

Or when you submit your meter reads you could "bank" your clicks, reporting that you ran 5000 but...not really running them. Of course, then you will have 10000 to catch up to the following month. But, no sense in throwing them away.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back