Apple 10.6.8 Update

Baldbug

Has anyone else had any probs with installing the latest apple update 10.6.8 in that the new update affects the use of printer drivers?? We lost all printer drivers on a 27" imac and reinstalled them but not all work with the new update:mad:

regards

Rod

I have 10.6.8 on a brand new 27" iMac and havent had any problems. Granted we mostly save postscript from artpro into hotfolders on a Nexus RIP.

One general thing about 10.6 though is that it doesn't ship with all of the printer drivers like previous builds did. It makes the install much more lightweight, but slightly more of a pain when you have to install new printers. I usually visit the manufacturer's website to download the drivers, then keep them handy on a thumb drive or the network for when I need to install a printer on someones computer.

Has anyone else had any probs with installing the latest apple update 10.6.8 in that the new update affects the use of printer drivers?? We lost all printer drivers on a 27" imac and reinstalled them but not all work with the new update:mad:

regards

Rod

Have 27" iMac. So far no issues with 10.6.8 and printer drivers. Although, only a couple drivers.

stephen

Yes. Have had the same issue on both a desktop and a laptop, specifically with a Xante driver for an old printer. I installed Rosetta and re-installed the driver, but 10.6.8 will not allow me to select it. The printer will not operate as a generic ps printer, so we're stuck for now.

I also had a problem recently, one of the printers in my queue would magically pause itself, even after I clicked "resume". After browsing around Apple's support forums, I tried one idea that worked for the person asking, but it deleted ALL my printers for me :( I wasted a good hour getting everything back to almost normal.

One way to fix the problem, which will work with all printer drivers, is to copy some of the files from a 10.6.7 mac to 10.6.8
the files in question live in /usr/libexec/cups/backend
this is a hidden directory but you can get there using the finders go to folder command (command-shift-g)
If you;re using lpd for printing then you need to copy the lpd file, if using bonjour then it's the dnssd file.
Once you've copied the file you need to set the ownership of it to the system/root user - you can do this from the terminal by
cd /usr/libexec/cups/backend - to get to the correct place and then
sudo chown root lpd (or dnssd) to set the ownership

printing will now work again

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back