Apple App Store for Macintosh

D

dgraves

With the debut of the App Store for Mac, I am wondering of the implications this may bring to our industry. The App Store will allow the smaller software companies to peddle their software easier. These Apps are also a lot cheaper than Adobe and Quark. I am wondering if these cheaper Apps will be purchased and artwork will be created and then sent to the local printing companies how well will they process in our work-flows. I am a fan of the App Store since there are tons of applications that I am not aware of and this will bring these to the spotlight. I am hoping that this will not cause major problems to our industry.

Well with the ipad being so popular and I am sure some creative genius is going to want to print off their masterpeice using these apps soon enough.

I see the app store as just another marketing ploy and Apply moving closer to a more controlled system. I do not see myself purchasing professional commercial software in this way.

just my 2 cents.

p

iTunes has decimated several industries in one fell swoop. The CD and cassette manufacturers, packaging and liner notes printers, jewel case manufacturers and suppliers then lastly, your local music shop. Way to go Apple.

I will quantify myself by first saying I definitely drank the Apple Kool-aid when I first got an Apple II.
That said, I am continually amazed at instances were someone blames any company or industry to 'killing off' or 'decimating' another by being the first to introduce the next wave of technology or finding a way to capitalize on new technologies, as Apple did not invent mp3 music downloads, (to respond to another thread, no - Esko nor any other one company is not to blame for the vanishing Repro houses.)
Frankly if it wasn't for the innovations like the ones from Apple, Inc and Adobe, etc., none of the members of this forum would be here today and doing what you are doing. Advancement of industry into the next is what has been going on for all of human existence. An example I used recently was that the Wright brothers who were bicycle builders did not whither as their industry was cut into by the introduction of the automobile, they innovated and changed direction, and you know the rest. All of the technology that the print industry relies upon today replaced what was before.
Why shouldn't the print industry find a way to process files and artwork created from an iPad app? The forward thinking printer will find a way.
If you have a creative design department in-house, why shouldn't you be looking at creating content for e-publishing to match what will be printed?
If your customer wants to be able to view and approve jobs through his iPad online viewer, why shouldn't you try and provide that service?
Was it really that long ago that CtP replaced cameras and hand stripping?
IMHO

Last edited:
I will quantify myself by first saying I definitely drank the Apple Kool-aid when I first got an Apple II.
That said, I am continually amazed at instances were someone blames any company or industry to 'killing off' or 'decimating' another by being the first to introduce the next wave of technology or finding a way to capitalize on new technologies, as Apple did not invent mp3 music downloads, (to respond to another thread, no - Esko nor any other one company is not to blame for the vanishing Repro houses.)
Frankly if it wasn't for the innovations like the ones from Apple, Inc and Adobe, etc., none of the members of this forum would be here today and doing what you are doing. Advancement of industry into the next is what has been going on for all of human existence. An example I used recently was that the Wright brothers who were bicycle builders did not whither as their industry was cut into by the introduction of the automobile, they innovated and changed direction, and you know the rest. All of the technology that the print industry relies upon today replaced what was before.
Why shouldn't the print industry find a way to process files and artwork created from an iPad app? The forward thinking printer will find a way.
If you have a creative design department in-house, why shouldn't you be looking at creating content for e-publishing to match what will be printed?
If your customer wants to be able to view and approve jobs through his iPad online viewer, why shouldn't you try and provide that service?
Was it really that long ago that CtP replaced cameras and hand stripping?
IMHO

So with all this being said, and well said at that. When will we start seeing deskpack in the Apple Store ?

Well it seems Adobe has a version of Photoshop for iOS (ipad and iPhone.) Just wondering now what file format it saves in and if you can open it up on your desktop Photoshop.

p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back