Attention Designers

oxburger

Top 10 File Prep Gripes (These are by no means all inclusive. Just my top 10.)

Other posters, feel free to add anything I may have missed.

1. I know that the file is the "final" version. I assume this because you sent the file to us, your printer, to be printed so I'm assuming you don't want to print version 2 out of 8 and that you do want to print the "final" corrected file. You do not need to call the file "Brochure 3-9 FNL.indd". We get the idea.

2. You do not need to put colored boxes that are colored CMYK on the edge of every page. I can see from the print order that it prints CMYK so you don't need to specify that on every page.

3. You also do not need to put "Gray prints Pantone Cool Gray 4" off to the side. If you did your job correctly, there will be a spot color in your pallette that is called Pantone Cool Gray 4 and any object you want to print that color has been colored in the document as such.

4. We do not need you to put trim marks on the page. (The computers we use are quite accurate and can do this quite well on their own.) Provided of course that you were smart enough to build your document at the trim size and not on some god awful page that's 4 times bigger so you could accommodate all your little "notes".

5. When you color something white, we understand that if it's printing on white paper it's going to reverse to white or reverse to paper color. We have been doing this a while and understand "the printing process".

6. You also don't need to put the document in printer's spreads or try to impose the job yourself. You have no idea how were going to run the job, on what size stock or how were going to run through our binding equipment. In fact, we'll probably have to tear your file apart so that we can impose it our way anyway, so don't even bother. If you want a 16 page brochure, make page 1 the front cover and page 16 the back cover, and we'll take care of the rest.

8. For the love of God, pull out your bleeds to at least an 1/8" of an inch. I know you want to see it at final trim while you're designing it, but if you could, pull out the bleeds before you send it in. If you have a photo that needs to bleed and doesn't, open it up in Photoshop and clone it. Or enlarge it slightly in the program to get the bleed.

9. When building or using logos in Illustrator, if they are to print in CMYK, build them this way and not in Spots. It saves us time opening them up and converting them.

10. Don't use rich black for small text. You're just going to run in to registration problems in the end. If you use rich blacks for solids, don't use registration. Use a mix closer to 40,40,40,100.

I know this is probably what you were taught in design school, but it really isn't necessary and is a waste of your time and your clients. Save them some money and bring in more clients for your business (you'll have plenty of extra time on your hands if you avoid these unnecessary steps)

Only one I disagree with is #9. If you let designers do the spot to cmyk conversion you will get 4/c blacks and 4/c spots. And I will add
#11. Turn off and or delete all those guides you have all over the pages. I know they were a big help to you but now that the job is in my hands I don't need your guides and really get sick of deleting them from every job you send in.
#12. Please don't mix your own cmyk formulas. If you want color other than black, use the Pantone system. Trying to register 6 point text in 80c, 50m, 30y, and 5% black that you mixed isn't going to happen.

13. If you design an extraordinary piece of work with a lot of bells-and-whistles, varnishes, coating, different paper types and sizes ... don't drop totally unworkable files on your printer on a friday afternoon (5pm) and then proceed to fly into your 3 week holiday without a way to contact you and expect the job to be done perfectly by monday morning.

14- don't forget to delete all the unused color... the 50 unused colors that you try as tests, and those unused that were by defaut in the software.

15- If you don't use Pantone colors, and really want to create your own colors (thought the advice # 12...), don't build one benday color for each object by simply sliding the CMYK cursors with this object selected... but make new benday colors that you apply to your objects... Don't forget to calculate the TAC of your new color, making it matching with your printer' wishes! (if you don't know the printer, then keep the TAC below 300%) and don't forget to turn on the "global" option in Illustrator.

16- with XPress, don't use the F1 to F15 keys as style-sheets shortcuts: these keys are normally assigned by XPress to functions that are used by the pre-press operators... If you want to create short-cuts for your style-sheets, prefer the numeric key-pad with modifiers keys (apple, alt, control, shift)

17- XPress and InDesign files are able to handle hundred of pages... so, don't make a one page file for each page!!!

18- Illustrator, Photoshop, Word, Excel and Publisher are not page-layout softwares... for a good job, easy to image quickly, with no expensive pre-press extra-job, use InDesign or XPress...

... and if you don't have one of these softwares, let us do the job !!!

(Yes, Photoshop is a professionnal software, and yes it is used by printers... but only to work on pictures, not for page-layout...
... for page-layout we use InDesign or XPress... and printers are not completely stupid people: if it was possible to use Photoshop (or Word, or Publisher) for page-layout, we should not be enough stupid to throw money away to buy XPress and/or inDesign...
... and if you succeeded to make your page-layout with Photoshop, it's not because you are a genius, it's simply because you made crap-job)

Last edited:
So much thank you for the advices here so good.

I hire just now new design person worker to reconstructing all files going towards two years back to compliance with all suggestion.

I sure printer will be greater happy with all new files when reprint jobs.

So glad I am for design infos we can for use with printers all.

New design person worker no likes changing files old. I make read him here. He changes all files old updating to here suggestion.

Universal suggestion here I thank so much to you.

Hitcha Sitcha Goushna

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back